Religion Briefs: Volunteers needed for 25th 'Messiah' sing
Volunteers needed for 25th 'Messiah' sing
MONT VERNON - For the 25th year, 100 volunteers from 19 communities are preparing to sing selections from Handel's "Messiah" on the first weekend of December. There are no auditions; all you need is a love of great music and a willingness to sing in a chorus. Auditions will be held for soloists after the second rehearsal. There are three rehearsals on the three Sundays leading up to the performances. Bring a G. Schirmer score (or buy one of ours for $10), and a pencil and water to rehearsals.
The chorus is under the direction of Jennifer Erdody, director of the Souhegan Valley Chorus and a music teacher at Milford High School, with accompanist Jill Slocum.
Rehearsals are from 6:45 to 9 p.m. on these Sundays: Nov. 11, 18, and 25 at the Mont Vernon Congregational Church at the top of Route 13 on South Main Street, Mont Vernon. There will be two performances: Saturday, Dec. 1 at 7 p.m.; and Sunday, Dec. 2 at 4 p.m., also at the church.
No tickets are sold; a free-will offering is taken at performances. This is a nonprofit organization, and businesses are invited to contribute or to sponsor a musician for $100. For more information, call 673-3510.
Ham and bean fundraiser Nov. 10
SALEM - A ham and bean fundraiser will be held on Saturday, Nov. 10, at the First Congregational Church.
Dinner will be served by the members of the youth group from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. The Philathea women's group will be providing generous portions of ham, two different types of beans, potato salad, cole slaw and rolls. The cost is $8 for adults and $3.50 for children (10 and under).
Come early and visit the Village Fair before dinner. There will be hand crafted gifts and holiday ornaments available for purchase.
The First Congregational Church of Salem is at 15 Lawrence Road in Salem.For more information, call 893-3421 or visit www.FCC-Salem.org.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Thomas Sowell: A primer on race and do-gooders - 0
- Ramesh Ponnuru: There is no basis for liberal Hobby Lobby outrage - 0
- Kathy Sullivan: NH energy projects should produce wins for everyone - 15
- Another View - Kevin Baine: No, the Hobby Lobby ruling won't deny anyone contraception - 6
- Jonah Goldberg: Liberals dislike America - 2
- Another View -- David Ignatius: Iran overplays its hand - 0
- John Stossel: There's capitalism, and then there's crony capitalism - 1
- David Harsanyi: Not surprising more Americans believe freedom is overrated - 1
- Gail Fisher's Dog Tracks: Water-loving dogs should be watched so they don't overdo it - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 132-mph street racers blow by trooper in Nashua, one of two arrested; motorcyclist arrested on I-93 doing 107 mph - 0
- Mazzaglia to be sentenced Aug. 14 for murder of UNH student - 0
- Lost Massachusetts hikers found safe in NH - 0
- GOP criticizes Shaheen flip flop on gas tax - 5
- No one has a clear claim to NHMS supremacy - 0
- Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: Does Concord have a big spending problem? - 1
- Ban fireworks? Get serious - 10
- Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot - 1
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Praising freedom: While curtailing it
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen flip flop on gas tax