Home » Opinion » Editorials
Charter choices: Six for the commission
Manchester voters will elect a slate of charter commissioners on Tuesday. Those elected will meet to revise the city's charter. It is an important task that could affect the city's relationship with its people in both subtle and profound ways. There are 62 candidates for the nine-member commission. Below, we recommend a few of them to the voters.
-- Skip Ashooh, the force behind the creation of Verizon Wireless Arena (and the city's 2000 Citizen of the Year) would bring a wealth of business, organizational and community experience to the table. He would be a valuable asset.
-- Tom De Blois, the Republican state senator, is an experienced businessman who would help with organization and cost-control.
-- Rich Girard, the former alderman, would bring a wealth of knowledge about city government. He would help guide the committee toward effective and soundly researched policies.
-- Will Infantine, the Republican state representative, is a real advocate for the taxpayers. He would keep an eye on anything that might result in placing more burdens on the people.
-- Tammy Simmons, the Republican state representative, is always looking for ways to make government more open, more effective and less burdensome.
-- Dave Wihby, the former alderman and current school board member, is a wiz with numbers. He also is a consensus builder who can bring people together around smart policies.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- George Will: Executive discretion to the extreme - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: Being better than New Jersey isn't good enough - 1
- Kathy Sullivan: GOP outrage machine might have finally gone too far - 46
- Jonah Goldberg: Triumph of the vulgarians - 1
- Maureen Mann: Labeling genetically-modified foods would help New Hampshire consumers - 16
- David Harsanyi: Ninety-six percent of Americans are wrong about Congress - 3
- Patrick J. Buchanan: Will we go to war over Japanese islands? - 0
- Sean Kenneally: A once pure NH view is no more - 13
- Jonah Goldberg: Obamacare was sold on a few core lies - 8
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Target says data security breach may affect 40 million cards - 0
- Nashua man held in home invasion - 0
- Fugitive of the week: James Porter - 0
- Firefighters respond to fire at Somersworth home - 0
- Milford fatal crash remains under investigation - 0
- Snow could reschedule Super Bowl - 2
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child