Home » Opinion » Editorials
Charter choices: Six for the commission
Manchester voters will elect a slate of charter commissioners on Tuesday. Those elected will meet to revise the city's charter. It is an important task that could affect the city's relationship with its people in both subtle and profound ways. There are 62 candidates for the nine-member commission. Below, we recommend a few of them to the voters.
-- Skip Ashooh, the force behind the creation of Verizon Wireless Arena (and the city's 2000 Citizen of the Year) would bring a wealth of business, organizational and community experience to the table. He would be a valuable asset.
-- Tom De Blois, the Republican state senator, is an experienced businessman who would help with organization and cost-control.
-- Rich Girard, the former alderman, would bring a wealth of knowledge about city government. He would help guide the committee toward effective and soundly researched policies.
-- Will Infantine, the Republican state representative, is a real advocate for the taxpayers. He would keep an eye on anything that might result in placing more burdens on the people.
-- Tammy Simmons, the Republican state representative, is always looking for ways to make government more open, more effective and less burdensome.
-- Dave Wihby, the former alderman and current school board member, is a wiz with numbers. He also is a consensus builder who can bring people together around smart policies.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Jonah Goldberg: There was a time when we stood up to threats against free speech - 0
- Why I voted against the 'CRomnibus' spending bill - 18
- Another View -- Devon Chaffee: Why interrogators believe America should never torture - 2
- David Harsanyi: GOP establishment, stop whining - 0
- John Stossel: Individual giving beats government giving - 3
- BANANAS and NH's energy needs - 5
- Gruber should have been Time's 'Person of the Year' - 5
- In NH, overhunting of RINOs is causing problems - 24
- Another View -- Shawn Jasper: It is time to get to work for the people of NH - 16
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onfrio's Patriots Notebook: Finding a way to win - 0
- Sam Asano's Let's Invent: NoNose gets readers talking like nobody's business - 0
- Know the Law: Your trust can be named beneficiary of an IRA - 0
- Another View -- Bill O'Brien: Ask your state rep. to vote for transparency in the House - 0
- Old friends and a 'homeless angel' make for good stories anytime - 0
- Clooney gets it: Sony attack was not a 'crime' - 0
- New coats warm city kids, firefighters' hearts - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Martin, Pinkerton top Salem in tournament - 0
- Inmate reported missing from Concord transitional unit - 0
The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama
Tensions boil over after NYC police killings