Home » Sports » Hockey » Bruins/NHL
NHL Winter Classic reportedly shelved
The annual hockey Winter Classic scheduled to be played Jan. 1 in Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor, Mich., reportedly is off, but negotiations between the NHL and the Players' Association could resume soon.
ESPN cited an NHL source who said Friday that the league is canceling the Winter Classic game between the Detroit Red Wings and the Toronto Maple Leafs because of the extended player lockout that has wiped out the first two months of the season. A formal announcement was expected Friday in New York from the league.
If the NHL hadn't canceled by Nov. 2, it would have been required to play the university's expenses related to a cancellation after that date, according to ESPN.
Meanwhile, NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly told the Canadian Press that he expects to get back to the bargaining table in the "relatively near future." The two sides haven't met since Oct. 18.
No date, time or location for a meeting has been confirmed, Daly said.
Reports indicated earlier this week that Daly had talked at length with NHL Players' Association
special counsel Steve Fehr on the phone.
The NHL lockout, which began Sept. 16, has wiped out games through Nov. 30.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fisher Cats score in 9th to win - 0
- Former NASCAR driver Trickle dead in apparent suicide - 0
- NHIAA boxscores, summaries for May 14, 2013 - 0
- Manchester's Gill Stadium nearing centenial rededication, still going strong - 0
- Red Sox lose to Rangers - 0
- Glenn, Nolan power Fisher Cats to win - 0
- All done: Monarchs elminated from AHL playoffs three games to one - 0
- NH College Roundup: Evans in Pats' rookie camp - 0
- Derryfield defeats Central girls in lacrosse - 0
READER COMMENTS: 23
- Plaistow fire victim remains critical - 0
- Updated: House votes to ban lead sinkers and jigs an ounce or under - 10
- Updated: Car may have started itself, crashes, burns at Manchester Home Depot - 5
- Threats at Goffstown High ‘not credible’ - 0
- Updated: House passes auto dealers bill of rights - 2
- Rochester man facing up to 30 years in prison for brutal assault - 1
- Man who confronts burglar in Nashua gets bit - 0
- Police say Nashua man struck woman with Jeep - 0
- Pease chosen to receive new KC-46A refueling tanker; to bring 100 jobs - 9
License revocations for DWI announced
Consider Nevada: Gambling always expands