Home » Sports » Hockey » Bruins/NHL
NHL Winter Classic reportedly shelved
The annual hockey Winter Classic scheduled to be played Jan. 1 in Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor, Mich., reportedly is off, but negotiations between the NHL and the Players' Association could resume soon.
ESPN cited an NHL source who said Friday that the league is canceling the Winter Classic game between the Detroit Red Wings and the Toronto Maple Leafs because of the extended player lockout that has wiped out the first two months of the season. A formal announcement was expected Friday in New York from the league.
If the NHL hadn't canceled by Nov. 2, it would have been required to play the university's expenses related to a cancellation after that date, according to ESPN.
Meanwhile, NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly told the Canadian Press that he expects to get back to the bargaining table in the "relatively near future." The two sides haven't met since Oct. 18.
No date, time or location for a meeting has been confirmed, Daly said.
Reports indicated earlier this week that Daly had talked at length with NHL Players' Association
special counsel Steve Fehr on the phone.
The NHL lockout, which began Sept. 16, has wiped out games through Nov. 30.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Londonderry blanks Exeter for third shutout in a row - 0
- NHIAA Division I baseball tourney picture about to become clear - 1
- NHIAA Tennis: Bedford is championship-focused - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Hanover's Cravero hurls another no-hitter - 0
- Memorial boys take city track meet for 10th straight year - 0
- NHIAA Baseball: Pinkerton beats Trinity in key game - 0
- Kevin Gray's H.S. Lacrosse: It's not easy facing West - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Trinity's Currier stops Nashua North - 0
- Campbell nine edges Hopkinton - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA boxscores, summaries for May 20, 2013 - 0
- Police say man held girlfriend in car, arrest him - 0
- Overtime puts stress on Nashua police budget - 0
- Manchester, church group seek accord on breakfast for homeless - 1
- Ky. Sen. Rand Paul to NH GOP: Let's look like America - 2
- Man gunned down on Manchester street was talented graffiti artist - 2
- Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs - 4
- Two had a NH history before brutal Bedford attack - 2
- Derry marks a soldier's death - 1
Texting + driving = deadly consequences
Memorial Day Observances 2013
Bedford's Shapiro hits lacrosse milestone
Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs
Derry marks a soldier's death