Home » Opinion » Editorials
Excuses, excuses: Obama's are running out
In a recent campaign ad for President Obama, actor Morgan Freeman intones, "Every President inherits challenges. Few have faced so many." This excuse, repeated for four long, grueling years, is untrue. Too many of us have forgotten that numerous Presidents faced challenges similar to if not greater than those Obama faced.
George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison. James Monroe, Andrew Jackson, Martin Van Buren, James Buchanan, U.S. Grant, Grover Cleveland, Theodore Roosevelt amd Woodrow Wilson all governed during major panics, recessions or depressions before the Great Depression. The 10 Presidents from Jackson through Lincoln faced serious threats of secession, and Andrew Johnson, Grant and Rutherford Hayes had reconstruction to manage.
And that does not even get to all the wars. Obama has had challenges, to be sure, but they were surmountable with the right policies.
Obama's excuse-making is intended to distract from the obvious fact that his policies have failed. They did not fail because of circumstances or because Republicans held one third of the elected branches of government for half of his presidency. They failed because they were bad policies.
Four more years of bad policies will bring four more years of bad outcomes and four more years of excuses. We are tired of the excuses. It's time for results. It's time to give Mitt Romney a try.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Supervised visitation: The metal detector problem - 1
- Charter cap trap: A restriction to repeal - 0
- Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal - 4
- Bedford’s road bond: A good deal for a big fix - 1
- Legislative ethics: NH way works better than most - 0
- Blue shame: Obamacare's big change - 19
- Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief - 21
- Banning cell phones: Impulse shopping in the House - 10
- Bad Joe: Levasseur stalls again - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Excess school money may target crowded classes in Manchester - 0
- Nashua board members apologize for signingCommon Core letter - 0
- Sen. Shaheen participates in all-night climate change ‘talkathon’ - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Monarchs' Derek Forbort in the right place at the right time - 0
- Educators, advocates speak to new standards for use of force - 0
- Two Manchester health clinics working on merger plan - 0
- Manchester CrimeWatch: City woman connected to fatal crash in court again - 0
- Franklin’s newest police recruit, a German shepherd pup, can smell trouble - 0
- VFW still eyeing old Crown Hill fire station in Nashua for new home - 0
Allenstown rejects town and school budgets
Crowley elected in Northfield
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Shaheen among speakers at Senate Dems' climate change 'talkathon'