Home » Opinion » Editorials
Excuses, excuses: Obama's are running out
In a recent campaign ad for President Obama, actor Morgan Freeman intones, "Every President inherits challenges. Few have faced so many." This excuse, repeated for four long, grueling years, is untrue. Too many of us have forgotten that numerous Presidents faced challenges similar to if not greater than those Obama faced.
George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison. James Monroe, Andrew Jackson, Martin Van Buren, James Buchanan, U.S. Grant, Grover Cleveland, Theodore Roosevelt amd Woodrow Wilson all governed during major panics, recessions or depressions before the Great Depression. The 10 Presidents from Jackson through Lincoln faced serious threats of secession, and Andrew Johnson, Grant and Rutherford Hayes had reconstruction to manage.
And that does not even get to all the wars. Obama has had challenges, to be sure, but they were surmountable with the right policies.
Obama's excuse-making is intended to distract from the obvious fact that his policies have failed. They did not fail because of circumstances or because Republicans held one third of the elected branches of government for half of his presidency. They failed because they were bad policies.
Four more years of bad policies will bring four more years of bad outcomes and four more years of excuses. We are tired of the excuses. It's time for results. It's time to give Mitt Romney a try.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- USNH's raw deal: Part deux - 2
- Every vote counts: Here is the proof - 5
- Burning rubber: And public dollars - 0
- Hassan was right: 'Bullying' bill goes too far - 12
- Strategery: A war by any other name - 30
- Freeh dumb: Favoritism in Vt.? - 6
- Public be damned: Litchfield latest example - 2
- NH's 9/11 victims: We cannot forget - 0
- Celebrating Stark: And America, in Manchester - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Kuster, Shea-Porter split on vote to arm Syrian rebels - 0
- Man arrested in White Park stabbing in Concord - 0
- Motorcyclist in serious condition at Maine hospital following crash on Route 125 in Rochester - 0
- Rochester 10-year-old, grandmother escape fire in home with no smoke detectors - 0
- Two arrested, car and cash seized in SWAT raid, drug bust at South Mammoth Road home in Manchester - 0
- Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too - 3
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Modified tour is shortened - 0
- Patriots Notebook: Pats wary of veteran playmaker Woodson - 0
- College Football: Expect offense when Richmond, UNH meet - 0
Keene man charged with assault on 2-year-old
Another View -- Bill Duncan: What did the NH Supreme Court really say about private school funding?
Every vote counts: Here is the proof
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over
Havenstein says Christie backing a 'boost'