Monarchs fall to Worcester, 1-0, in shootout
Goals were hard to come by for the second straight game for the Manchester Monarchs as they fell 1-0 in a shootout to the host Worcester Sharks at the DCU Center in Worcester, Mass., on Sunday afternoon.
The Monarchs have not tallied a goal in 138 minutes of play but they remain on top of the Atlantic Division with 11 points and a 5-2-0-1 record. Worcester is in second with 10 points and a 4-4-1-1 mark.
Manchester goalie Martin Jones earned his second shutout of the season by making 38 saves in regulation. Alex Stalock turned aside all 27 shots that he faced for the Sharks.
Worcester's John McCarthy, Jon Matsumoto and James Sheppard all scored in the shootout while only Marc-Andre Cliche and Robbie Czarnik were able to come up with scores for the Monarchs.
Worcester went 0-for-7 on the power play while Manchester was 0-for-4. The Monarchs return to home ice on Wednesday at Verizon Wireless Arena for a 7 p.m. game against the St. John's IceCaps.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Carol's Obamacare: What Shea-Porter supported - 32
- A chief walks: No charges in New London - 1
- Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand - 42
- UNH's logo: Hip ... for now - 3
- Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice - 9
- Joseph W. McQuaid: Prizes & playoffs: Well done, UNH - 2
- Where’s Waldo? Just ask the NSA - 13
- Joseph W. McQuaid: Keeping public in the dark isn't helping find Abigail - 26
- The Peace Light: A Christmas reminder for all - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Wildcats have come a long way - 0
- Another weekend, another three games for Monarchs - 0
- Another View -- Mark S. MacKenzie: Raising minimum wage would lift NH families out of poverty - 0
- Pray for safety: The state did not provide it - 0
- Students add their special touch to Christmas - 0
- Chargers edge Manning, Broncos, 27-20 - 0
- Iginla strikes twice as red-hot Bruins top Oilers - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Bow's balance too much for Kearsarge - 0
- Dartmouth skaters dealt another close loss - 0
Symphony NH plans pair of holiday events
Hooksett man arrested on assault charges
Driver was trying to kill himself
NH reps eyeing budget deal
Decision to tap F&G habitat fund explained
Big tipper stops for lunch
Keene to appeal Robin Hood rulings