Monarchs fall to Worcester, 1-0, in shootout
Goals were hard to come by for the second straight game for the Manchester Monarchs as they fell 1-0 in a shootout to the host Worcester Sharks at the DCU Center in Worcester, Mass., on Sunday afternoon.
The Monarchs have not tallied a goal in 138 minutes of play but they remain on top of the Atlantic Division with 11 points and a 5-2-0-1 record. Worcester is in second with 10 points and a 4-4-1-1 mark.
Manchester goalie Martin Jones earned his second shutout of the season by making 38 saves in regulation. Alex Stalock turned aside all 27 shots that he faced for the Sharks.
Worcester's John McCarthy, Jon Matsumoto and James Sheppard all scored in the shootout while only Marc-Andre Cliche and Robbie Czarnik were able to come up with scores for the Monarchs.
Worcester went 0-for-7 on the power play while Manchester was 0-for-4. The Monarchs return to home ice on Wednesday at Verizon Wireless Arena for a 7 p.m. game against the St. John's IceCaps.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Runners want to send message in 2014 Boston Marathon - 0
- Newbould, Varanka lead Granite Staters in Boston Marathon - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: NH's race within the race - 0
- Granite State pair back on track for Boston - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: Would an Easter or Christmas road race work in Granite State? - 0
- It's a family affair at Manchester road race - 0
- Shamrock Shuffle set for Sunday - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: Shamrock Shuffle runners ready to party - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: No way to win with a road race cancellation - 1
READER COMMENTS: 5
- House kills Hassan-backed casino bill, 199-164 - 11
- Threats at Goffstown High ‘not credible’ - 0
- House votes to ban lead sinkers and jigs an ounce or under - 7
- House passes auto dealers bill of rights - 2
- Rochester man facing up to 30 years in prison for brutal assault - 1
- Man who confronts burglar in Nashua gets bit - 0
- Police say Nashua man struck woman with Jeep - 0
- Pease chosen to receive new KC-46A refueling tanker; to bring 100 jobs - 9
- FBI agent kills Florida man during questioning about Marathon bombing suspect - 3
License revocations for DWI announced
UPDATED: Derry marks a soldier's death
Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs