Manchester City Marathon Notebook: Happy times for winner of men's half marathon
MANCHESTER - Manchester City Half Marathon winner Tadesse Girma reunited recently with his wife after years of living thousands of miles apart.
Girma, a 32-year-old Ethiopian runner, left his native country to join his wife, Elizabeth Defar, in Malden, Mass., in late August.
"She came here (from Ethiopia) about six or seven years ago, and they've only seen each other once or twice in that time," said Ashenafi Befekadu, a childhood friend of Girma's who joined him near the finish line in Veteran's Memorial Park after the race.
Manchester City Half Marathon women's winner Heidi Westover is taking a sabbatical from her job as a fifth-grade teacher in North Charlestown to hone her running prowess. She spent the summer training in Boulder, Colo.
"My goal is a fast spring marathon," said Westover, a 31-year-old Walpole resident. "I'd like to run sub-2:35. I'm hoping for Boston, but I'm not sure yet."
Defending Manchester City Marathon titlist Patrick Moulton, who grew up in Pelham, finished fifth in this year's race. His time of 2:36:04 was nearly seven minutes slower than his winning time in 2011. . A four-man Connecticut team won the Manchester City Marathon Relay. David Chorney, Corey Watts, Brian Harvey and Jared Oubre finished in 2:44:40. . Jared and Katie Hart, the Manchester couple that ran the Manchester City Half Marathon to raise money for memorial scholarships honoring two U.S. soldiers killed in the line of duty (New Hampshire Sunday News, Nov. 4), both crossed the finish line Sunday, Jared in 2:30:36 and Katie in 2:48:08.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Keene State professor eager to explore plant’s mysteries - 0
- Windham to reconsider dodgeball ban - 0
- Hooksett students taken to nearby school after gas leak - 0
- Londonderry students who haven't had whooping cough vaccine asked to stay home - 0
- Pinkerton Academy grads told they are 'a promising generation' - 1
- Derry school district looks to boost its bandwith - 0
- Nashua South grads told to embrace lessons from challenges - 0
- Milford High student speaker: 'We will continue to build on the echoes of the past' - 0
- Student remembered by Pelham High's Class of 2013 - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Santos drives in three as Curve beat Fisher Cats in 10 - 0
- Large billboards grabbing attention on Route 101 in Epping - 1
- Pearl Street lot proposal involves student housing in Manchester - 0
- Manchester VFW posts fights to survive without poker cash - 0
- Surveillance led NSA to 50 terror 'events' - 0
- One arrested as Concord gun-control rally gets rowdy - 13
- Celtics, Clippers call off Doc deal - 0
- High school football is in the air as CHad practice opens - 0
- Agencies to offer summer food service to Derry children in need - 0
Voter restrictions: Who will govern us?
Nashua couple's deaths called suspicious
Mother of drowned baby gets prison time