Manchester City Marathon Notebook: Happy times for winner of men's half marathon
MANCHESTER - Manchester City Half Marathon winner Tadesse Girma reunited recently with his wife after years of living thousands of miles apart.
Girma, a 32-year-old Ethiopian runner, left his native country to join his wife, Elizabeth Defar, in Malden, Mass., in late August.
"She came here (from Ethiopia) about six or seven years ago, and they've only seen each other once or twice in that time," said Ashenafi Befekadu, a childhood friend of Girma's who joined him near the finish line in Veteran's Memorial Park after the race.
Manchester City Half Marathon women's winner Heidi Westover is taking a sabbatical from her job as a fifth-grade teacher in North Charlestown to hone her running prowess. She spent the summer training in Boulder, Colo.
"My goal is a fast spring marathon," said Westover, a 31-year-old Walpole resident. "I'd like to run sub-2:35. I'm hoping for Boston, but I'm not sure yet."
Defending Manchester City Marathon titlist Patrick Moulton, who grew up in Pelham, finished fifth in this year's race. His time of 2:36:04 was nearly seven minutes slower than his winning time in 2011. . A four-man Connecticut team won the Manchester City Marathon Relay. David Chorney, Corey Watts, Brian Harvey and Jared Oubre finished in 2:44:40. . Jared and Katie Hart, the Manchester couple that ran the Manchester City Half Marathon to raise money for memorial scholarships honoring two U.S. soldiers killed in the line of duty (New Hampshire Sunday News, Nov. 4), both crossed the finish line Sunday, Jared in 2:30:36 and Katie in 2:48:08.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- College roundup: Local men's teams go 3-0 for the night - 0
- Girls basketball: Derryfield, Bow girls' teams win - 0
- Hollis teen mourned after fatal crash on turnpike - 0
- Progress reported in Pinkerton-Hooksett high school deal - 0
- LGC subsidiary accused of violating its own bylaws - 0
- Turkey Bowl brawl: Central players suspended, no discipline for Trinity team - 0
- John Stark's 'We the People' gears up for civics competition - 0
- PSNH on defense over scrubber cost 'escalation' - 0
- Feds and state probe suspended county attorney's handling of funds - 0
Exeter drug sweep nets four
Win tickets to see Medium Lauren Rainbow
Wreaths Across America get big send-off
Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice
Anderson lewdness trial is delayed