Manchester City Marathon Notebook: Happy times for winner of men's half marathon
MANCHESTER - Manchester City Half Marathon winner Tadesse Girma reunited recently with his wife after years of living thousands of miles apart.
Girma, a 32-year-old Ethiopian runner, left his native country to join his wife, Elizabeth Defar, in Malden, Mass., in late August.
"She came here (from Ethiopia) about six or seven years ago, and they've only seen each other once or twice in that time," said Ashenafi Befekadu, a childhood friend of Girma's who joined him near the finish line in Veteran's Memorial Park after the race.
Manchester City Half Marathon women's winner Heidi Westover is taking a sabbatical from her job as a fifth-grade teacher in North Charlestown to hone her running prowess. She spent the summer training in Boulder, Colo.
"My goal is a fast spring marathon," said Westover, a 31-year-old Walpole resident. "I'd like to run sub-2:35. I'm hoping for Boston, but I'm not sure yet."
Defending Manchester City Marathon titlist Patrick Moulton, who grew up in Pelham, finished fifth in this year's race. His time of 2:36:04 was nearly seven minutes slower than his winning time in 2011. . A four-man Connecticut team won the Manchester City Marathon Relay. David Chorney, Corey Watts, Brian Harvey and Jared Oubre finished in 2:44:40. . Jared and Katie Hart, the Manchester couple that ran the Manchester City Half Marathon to raise money for memorial scholarships honoring two U.S. soldiers killed in the line of duty (New Hampshire Sunday News, Nov. 4), both crossed the finish line Sunday, Jared in 2:30:36 and Katie in 2:48:08.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Colorful Tradition at UNH - 0
- Media Power Youth targets preventing youth violence - 0
- Better parent-child communication is Pembroke talk topic - 0
- Rivier University in Nashua aims to transform campus with $4 million plan - 0
- Move to Concord eyed for offices of university system - 5
- Nashua in running for education grant - 0
- Teacher cuts proposed in Londonderry - 22
- Derry school district expects 2014-15 25-student enrollment increase - 0
- Derry teacher who brings science to life a national award finalist - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Officials will share new information about missing Conway teen - 1
- South Africa's Nelson Mandela dies at 95 - 1
- Fire scene closes Goffstown's Paige Hill Road - 0
- Gas tax increase would be tied to consumer price index - 6
- Dingman granted conditional parole - 6
- Suicide bomber, gunmen kill 52 in Yemen - 0
- Manchester gas station burglarized - 0
- Conn. tractor-trailer driver charged in Manchester hit and run - 2
- John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to be in Londonderry tonight, says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans - 10
Dingman granted conditional parole
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to be in Londonderry tonight, says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans