Manchester City Marathon Notebook: Happy times for winner of men's half marathon
MANCHESTER - Manchester City Half Marathon winner Tadesse Girma reunited recently with his wife after years of living thousands of miles apart.
Girma, a 32-year-old Ethiopian runner, left his native country to join his wife, Elizabeth Defar, in Malden, Mass., in late August.
"She came here (from Ethiopia) about six or seven years ago, and they've only seen each other once or twice in that time," said Ashenafi Befekadu, a childhood friend of Girma's who joined him near the finish line in Veteran's Memorial Park after the race.
Manchester City Half Marathon women's winner Heidi Westover is taking a sabbatical from her job as a fifth-grade teacher in North Charlestown to hone her running prowess. She spent the summer training in Boulder, Colo.
"My goal is a fast spring marathon," said Westover, a 31-year-old Walpole resident. "I'd like to run sub-2:35. I'm hoping for Boston, but I'm not sure yet."
Defending Manchester City Marathon titlist Patrick Moulton, who grew up in Pelham, finished fifth in this year's race. His time of 2:36:04 was nearly seven minutes slower than his winning time in 2011. . A four-man Connecticut team won the Manchester City Marathon Relay. David Chorney, Corey Watts, Brian Harvey and Jared Oubre finished in 2:44:40. . Jared and Katie Hart, the Manchester couple that ran the Manchester City Half Marathon to raise money for memorial scholarships honoring two U.S. soldiers killed in the line of duty (New Hampshire Sunday News, Nov. 4), both crossed the finish line Sunday, Jared in 2:30:36 and Katie in 2:48:08.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Runners want to send message in 2014 Boston Marathon - 0
- Newbould, Varanka lead Granite Staters in Boston Marathon - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: NH's race within the race - 0
- Granite State pair back on track for Boston - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: Would an Easter or Christmas road race work in Granite State? - 0
- It's a family affair at Manchester road race - 0
- Shamrock Shuffle set for Sunday - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: Shamrock Shuffle runners ready to party - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: No way to win with a road race cancellation - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Gambling bill scuttled, 'Now it is going to be really tough' for budget - 2
- NHIAA Roundup: BG girls’ tennis team sweeps Pinkerton - 0
- NHIAA box scores, summaries for May 22 - 0
- Officials say Goffstown High ‘safe’ after threat of violence - 0
- Manchester Community College graduates told ‘speak your minds’ - 0
- Portsmouth manhunt suspect turns himself in to police - 0
- Nurse said Exeter Hospital is making her a ‘scapegoat’ in hepatitis case - 0
- Derry council defends officials' purchases - 0
- Nashua librarian reports E-books flying off virtual shelves - 0
Memorial Day events in New Hampshire
Milford team wins seatbelt challenge
Bruins seek repeat effort and complete sweep
Consider Nevada: Gambling always expands