Kuster strong in population centers
Early results from Tuesday's election for New Hampshire's two seats in the U.S. House of Representatives showed Democratic challenger Ann McLane Kuster and Republican incumbent U.S. Rep. Frank Guinta holding leads in early returns.
Kuster was leading U.S. Rep. Charles F. Bass in early returns with results in from Concord and Keene, though Bass spokesman Scott Tranchemontagne said he believed results from outside the population centers would turn the race around for Bass.
"We are optimistic. The early returns from the cities show Kuster ahead - but by less in these cities than she was two years ago," Tranchemontagne said in an email. "We will gain much ground in the towns that always come in later that the Democrat-leaning cities. It will be a long night, but spirits are high at Bass Victory party."
Bass was attempting to win an eighth term in office, having served from 1995 to 2007 and again since being elected in 2010. Tuesday's election was a rematch against Kuster, whom he defeated in 2010.
Guinta held a narrow lead over Democratic former U.S. Rep. Carol Shea-Porter. In early returns from Manchester, Shea-Porter, who held the 1st Congressional District seat from 2007 to 2011, won Ward 7, 1,866 votes to 1,487, while Guinta won Ward 6, 2,251 to 2,216.
Guinta and Shea-Porter were also in a rematch, after Guinta unseated the two-term congresswoman in the 2010 election.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Legal Perspective -- Health care decision making: Pending legislation fills gap - 0
- GoShopNH offers workshop to NH artisans on selling their products online - 0
- Christopher Thompson's Closing the Deal: Be a student of your profession - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Lacrosse: Bedford proving Division I-worthy - 0
- NHIAA Baseball: Londonderry's Corey escapes seventh-inning jam in win - 0
- Pope presides at Vatican Mass leading Catholics into Easter - 0
- Top-ranked B's seek to tie up series - 0
- Bottoms up for Red Sox in win over Orioles - 0
- Struggling Fisher Cats defeated again - 0
Man electrocuted at Keene brush fire