Mont Vernon registers a flood of new independent voters
MONT VERNON--Voters are coming out in record numbers in Mont Vernon where more than 700 of the town's 1700 registered voters had already cast their ballots by the afternoon on Tuesday and more than 35 new registrations were counted.
Most of the new registrations were by voters who didn't choose to join a particular party, said Town Clerk Jeanette Vinton.
Only a handful of people came to the polls without an ID and around 12 affidavits were signed allowing people without ID to vote.
Outside the polling place at the Mont Vernon Village School, a group of teen girls stood with their parents holding signs for different candidates.
For Lori Hayes' daughter Lauren, campaigning for the Democratic candidates on the ticket was part of her families rules.
"I require them to dedicate time to the campaign," said Hayes, who believes that children need to understand and be part of the political process.
Ciari Formby-Lavertu and Claire Foley also pitched in to hold signs for Democrats, while Amanda Mead campaigned for her father, Republican Bob Mead, a candidate for State Representative.
"I think it's very important to support my father," said Amanda Mead.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- An NSA setback: Fourth Amendment wins first round - 14
- Fetal homicide: A compromise at last? - 4
- Freedom & discovery: A mathematician gets noticed - 0
- Preventing Newtown: Background checks won’t - 29
- Taunting taxpayers: Manchester teachers union won’t budge - 35
- Insurance choices: Shaheen, Shea-Porter, Kuster mislead - 19
- Looking for Abigail: Public can help find her - 3
- Riding lessons: DRED improves horse rules - 5
- Pray for safety: The state did not provide it - 15
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Forecasters eye possible weekend ice storm - 0
- Abigail's mother issues plea for Christmas return - 1
- Fugitive caught hiding under bed in Jaffrey - 0
- Target says data security breach may affect 40 million cards - 0
- Nashua man held in home invasion - 0
- Fugitive of the week: James Porter - 0
- Firefighters respond to fire at Somersworth home - 0
- Milford fatal crash remains under investigation - 0
- Snow could reschedule Super Bowl - 2
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child