Traffic backs up a mile near Londonderry poll during lunch hour rush to vote
Leslie Taggart-Williams campaigned for President Obama outside Londonderry High School Tuesday afternoon, with the help of her children, Ryan Williams, 6, and Annie Williams, 4. (APRIL GUILMET)
LONDONDERRY - Traffic along Mammoth Road was at a standstill at noon Tuesday, with cars waiting in traffic for a mile past Londonderry High School, all the way to Mack's Apples.
In the school parking lot, a dozen or so local volunteers from A Londonderry Emergency Response Team (ALERT) directed traffic.
“It's been quite a morning,” said volunteer Rich Semaski.
Longtime Republican state representative Al Baldasaro greeted voters outside the gymnasium doors. Baldasaro, who is recovering from a recent heart attack, showed a sense of humor in his bid for another term: a handmade sign nearby read “Baldasaro: He's All Heart.”
It looked like a record turnout for Londonderry today: Town Moderator Cindi Rice Conley said that 1,044 voters passed through the polls in the first hour.
“We've had tons of new voters coming out today,” she added.
Conley said voters have been cooperative regarding the new voter ID rules, and very few opted out.
Poll worker Truda Bloom, who sat at the affidavit table, said most of the people she's talked to had questions rather than concerns.
'People have been very agreeable. Most of them just want the facts,” she added.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Getting revved up over student car raffle - 0
- Manchester Community College graduates told ‘speak your minds’ - 0
- Colby-Sawyer lays off 16 staff workers to balance budget - 1
- White Mountains school board expands preschool - 0
- Milford team wins seatbelt challenge - 0
- Activist resident launches alternative UNH logo search - 1
- Loeb School offers workshop on producing newsletters - 0
- Threats at Goffstown High ‘not credible’ - 0
- Pushback against logo plan for UNH heats up - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Talk of UNH logo change brings out passions - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Gosselin stepping down as city AD - 0
- Lackey sharp as Red Sox pound Cleveland, Masterson - 0
- Manchester Vet Center just 'a great place' - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Bedford netmen earn spot in state final - 0
- NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013 - 0
- NHIAA Div. I Track: Lynch, North boys prevail - 0
- Two found dead in Belmont; one man detained as part of investigation - 0
- Weather this weekend may be more like Veterans Day - 0
NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013
Memorial Day services, events around NH
Just say it: Our fight is with radical Islam
The casino vote: The House did its duty