Traffic backs up a mile near Londonderry poll during lunch hour rush to vote
Leslie Taggart-Williams campaigned for President Obama outside Londonderry High School Tuesday afternoon, with the help of her children, Ryan Williams, 6, and Annie Williams, 4. (APRIL GUILMET)
LONDONDERRY - Traffic along Mammoth Road was at a standstill at noon Tuesday, with cars waiting in traffic for a mile past Londonderry High School, all the way to Mack's Apples.
In the school parking lot, a dozen or so local volunteers from A Londonderry Emergency Response Team (ALERT) directed traffic.
“It's been quite a morning,” said volunteer Rich Semaski.
Longtime Republican state representative Al Baldasaro greeted voters outside the gymnasium doors. Baldasaro, who is recovering from a recent heart attack, showed a sense of humor in his bid for another term: a handmade sign nearby read “Baldasaro: He's All Heart.”
It looked like a record turnout for Londonderry today: Town Moderator Cindi Rice Conley said that 1,044 voters passed through the polls in the first hour.
“We've had tons of new voters coming out today,” she added.
Conley said voters have been cooperative regarding the new voter ID rules, and very few opted out.
Poll worker Truda Bloom, who sat at the affidavit table, said most of the people she's talked to had questions rather than concerns.
'People have been very agreeable. Most of them just want the facts,” she added.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 0
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
When company comes, opt for variety
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride