Traffic backs up a mile near Londonderry poll during lunch hour rush to vote
Leslie Taggart-Williams campaigned for President Obama outside Londonderry High School Tuesday afternoon, with the help of her children, Ryan Williams, 6, and Annie Williams, 4. (APRIL GUILMET)
LONDONDERRY - Traffic along Mammoth Road was at a standstill at noon Tuesday, with cars waiting in traffic for a mile past Londonderry High School, all the way to Mack's Apples.
In the school parking lot, a dozen or so local volunteers from A Londonderry Emergency Response Team (ALERT) directed traffic.
“It's been quite a morning,” said volunteer Rich Semaski.
Longtime Republican state representative Al Baldasaro greeted voters outside the gymnasium doors. Baldasaro, who is recovering from a recent heart attack, showed a sense of humor in his bid for another term: a handmade sign nearby read “Baldasaro: He's All Heart.”
It looked like a record turnout for Londonderry today: Town Moderator Cindi Rice Conley said that 1,044 voters passed through the polls in the first hour.
“We've had tons of new voters coming out today,” she added.
Conley said voters have been cooperative regarding the new voter ID rules, and very few opted out.
Poll worker Truda Bloom, who sat at the affidavit table, said most of the people she's talked to had questions rather than concerns.
'People have been very agreeable. Most of them just want the facts,” she added.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Updated: Man fatally shot on Manchester street; neighbors shocked - 3
- Nashua mayor to recommend Bennett for corporation counsel - 0
- Claremont group disputes incinerator plant's permit - 0
- Goffstown artisan gives new face to Wolfeboro tower - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Kiwanis and the kids - 0
- Town may have to fix grave error - 0
- Gate City Musings: Mayor just keeps on spending - 0
- Nashua set to begin budget review - 0
- Manchester 'homeless meter' program seeks to deter panhandling - 0
Volunteer drivers needed in Windham
UNH hires firm to redesign one of its logos
Disengaged: Obama's lousy excuse
Chechen decries Boston attack
43 killers on lifetime parole - but where?