Home » News » Politics » Primary 2014 Blog
Traffic backs up a mile near Londonderry poll during lunch hour rush to vote
Leslie Taggart-Williams campaigned for President Obama outside Londonderry High School Tuesday afternoon, with the help of her children, Ryan Williams, 6, and Annie Williams, 4. (APRIL GUILMET)
LONDONDERRY - Traffic along Mammoth Road was at a standstill at noon Tuesday, with cars waiting in traffic for a mile past Londonderry High School, all the way to Mack's Apples.
In the school parking lot, a dozen or so local volunteers from A Londonderry Emergency Response Team (ALERT) directed traffic.
“It's been quite a morning,” said volunteer Rich Semaski.
Longtime Republican state representative Al Baldasaro greeted voters outside the gymnasium doors. Baldasaro, who is recovering from a recent heart attack, showed a sense of humor in his bid for another term: a handmade sign nearby read “Baldasaro: He's All Heart.”
It looked like a record turnout for Londonderry today: Town Moderator Cindi Rice Conley said that 1,044 voters passed through the polls in the first hour.
“We've had tons of new voters coming out today,” she added.
Conley said voters have been cooperative regarding the new voter ID rules, and very few opted out.
Poll worker Truda Bloom, who sat at the affidavit table, said most of the people she's talked to had questions rather than concerns.
'People have been very agreeable. Most of them just want the facts,” she added.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Boutin for Senate: Constituent service for District 16 - 3
- Sanborn for Senate: The obvious choice in District 9 - 2
- Secret arrests: Names contradict ICE narrative - 4
- Little for Senate: A voice for the Upper Valley - 1
- Edwards for Senate: A driven leader for Dist. 4 - 0
- Quieting Keene: Fight for your right to party - 3
- Teacher pay: Treat them like professionals - 21
- School emergencies: A tale of two superintendents - 1
- Tradition wins: The boring lives of rock stars - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- James Pindell's The Back Story: Does the grassroots approach still work? - 2
- Shaheen: 'Don't Import Candiate That Outsources Jobs' - 15
- Abandoned Property: Romney, Brownies and even J.D. Salinger are on the list, are you? - 0
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Levasseur back on MPD's case, but this time with numbers - 1
- Answers sought over dead ducks, geese - 0
- Londonderry man killed in cycle crash - 0
- Monitoring social media - 1
- Apple opens in Manchester - 0
- NHIAA football: Bedford hangs on, outlasts Concord - 0
Monitoring social media
More violence at Keene
Boz Scaggs explores a bit of 'Memphis'
Rowdy night ushers in Keene Pumpkin Festival
Shaheen, in Hooksett, rallies with union
Monitoring social media
After riots, soul-searching begins