Traffic backs up a mile near Londonderry poll during lunch hour rush to vote
Leslie Taggart-Williams campaigned for President Obama outside Londonderry High School Tuesday afternoon, with the help of her children, Ryan Williams, 6, and Annie Williams, 4. (APRIL GUILMET)
LONDONDERRY - Traffic along Mammoth Road was at a standstill at noon Tuesday, with cars waiting in traffic for a mile past Londonderry High School, all the way to Mack's Apples.
In the school parking lot, a dozen or so local volunteers from A Londonderry Emergency Response Team (ALERT) directed traffic.
“It's been quite a morning,” said volunteer Rich Semaski.
Longtime Republican state representative Al Baldasaro greeted voters outside the gymnasium doors. Baldasaro, who is recovering from a recent heart attack, showed a sense of humor in his bid for another term: a handmade sign nearby read “Baldasaro: He's All Heart.”
It looked like a record turnout for Londonderry today: Town Moderator Cindi Rice Conley said that 1,044 voters passed through the polls in the first hour.
“We've had tons of new voters coming out today,” she added.
Conley said voters have been cooperative regarding the new voter ID rules, and very few opted out.
Poll worker Truda Bloom, who sat at the affidavit table, said most of the people she's talked to had questions rather than concerns.
'People have been very agreeable. Most of them just want the facts,” she added.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sports Briefs: Broncos’ Welker to miss tonight’s game - 0
- Doc has his night in Boston - 0
- Airlines, weapon makers were the best for shareholders in 2013 - 0
- FDA unveils plan to rein in antibiotics on farms - 0
- Outlet malls: Not what they used to be - 0
- Calif. outlaws ‘revenge porn' - 0
- Kuster launches 'Holiday Cards for Heroes' - 0
- Minor bus accident in Derry blamed on icy roads - 0
- Mega Millions jackpot expected to reach $400m - 0
'From Bimah to Broadway' in Queen City
Win tickets to see Medium Lauren Rainbow
Win tickets to see Disney on Ice!
Big tipper stops for lunch
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false