Home » News » Politics » Election 2014 Blog
Traffic congestion at single polling site in Merrimack
Phil Straight, a candidate for state representative in Merrimack, avoids the traffic and campaigns at the entrance of the Merrimack High School parking lot Tuesday. (KIMBERLY HOUGHTON)
MERRIMACK -- Traffic was congested around Merrimack High School Tuesday morning as motorists attempted to get in and out of the single polling site before heading to work.
"This is the busiest I've ever seen it," said Phil Straight, a Republican candidate for state representative. "There was quite a bottleneck early this morning, but the traffic seems to be better right now."
A police officer arrived on the scene to help direct traffic in and out of the high school, which alleviated most of the problems, according to Straight.
"I arrived here about 6:30, and many people showed up well ahead of me," he said.
Election officials predicted about 18,000 ballots to be cast in Merrimack Tuesday. More than 3,000 voters had already walked through the doors by mid-morning, according to election workers.
"There are a lot of good people running in Merrimack," said Straight, adding he was pleased with the high voter turnout.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- AG inspector assaulted while monitoring polls in Newmarket - 1
- Meredith turnout near 50 percent - 0
- Turnout could top 50 percent in Chester; no incidents reported - 0
- Warren voters go to the polls - 0
- Bedford expected to exceed state average for voter turnout - 0
- Steady turnout in Plaistow for election - 0
- Student voting down at the polls in Plymouth - 0
- Busy voting in Merrimack - 0
- Voter turnout steady in Derry - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl will go as scheduled - 0
- Red Sox think they got free agent signings right this time - 0
- Turkey Bowls: Passion always on the menu - 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl: Crusaders aim to rewrite history - 0
- Dave Solomon's Power Plays: Who knew what and when in PSNH scrubber case? - 0
- Story of Marine Memorial at Hampton Beach begins with Bill Downs - 0
- Immigrants include ethnic dishes at their Thanksgiving table - 0
- Puritans in America: Daniel Webster on religion's role - 0
- Mitt Romney is out front, but says he's not running again - 0
On being American: A point for reflection
Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket
Person found dead in Manchester alley