At age 106, Julia Fifield in Orford is one of NH's most experienced voters
Julia M. Fifield of Orford, 106, is helped at the polls by Orford town moderator Peter Thomson. (PAULA TRACY)
ORFORD - Julia M. Fifield, who will turn 107 next month, walked into the Orford Town Hall this morning and voted, as she has since Calvin Coolidge was President.
On this brilliant late-fall morning, when snow capped Mount Moosilaukee in the distance and a stiff wind kept voters moving quickly toward the doors of the warm town hall past people holding signs, Fifield made her way carefully and deliberately up the ramp with her walker, announced her name and address clearly, took a balllot, and stuffed it into the box.
The entire room applauded when town moderator Peter Thomson announced "You have voted," and gave her a kiss.
Fifield could be the oldest voter to make it to the polls in New Hampshire today.
"She votes straight ticket, Republican," said her daughter, Ann Davis, who accompanied her to the polls.
Fifield drove until the age of 102 and still has her driver's license. She did not need to produce it as everyone in town hall knew her.
Thomson, whose father was the late Gov. Meldrim Thomson, said Fifield is a faithful voter who takes voting seriously. He said she is a regular at town meeting, and others said she always urges her fellow residents to be kind to the town.
There were 817 registered voters in Orford before the polls opened, and many new voters were added to the rolls. Traffic was steady when Fifield came in about 10:30 a.m.
Born in Vermont on Dec. 4, 1905, Fifield holds the Boston Post Cane, which is actually refurbished and framed at town hall. Davis said her mother suffered a fractured lower hip on July 18 but has made a fabulous recovery from her injury.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portland takes first of two from NH Fisher Cats Saturday - 0
- Readers' Choice winners say public vote is meaningful - 0
- Amherst mini-golf course is readers' top choice - 0
- Twins Smoke Shop focuses on good cigars, happy clients - 0
- 'Backstage' NASCAR passes are fans' delight in Loudon - 0
- Motorcyclist killed, passenger injured when hit by car in Manchester accident - 0
- Bicyclist injured when hit by car in Hudson - 0
- Police hope for driving dream, but prepared for driving nightmare in Loudon - 0
- Police investigate serious accident in Manchester - 0
New Hampshire events starting on July 13
Houston hands Red Sox a loss Saturday
Despite late start in growing season, North Country's blueberry picking season soon to be here