UNH students from all over exercise right to vote in NH
DURHAM - The line for new voter registration grew longer as the morning wore on and more University of New Hampshire students made their way to the polls Tuesday.
Students from as far away as Lake Placid, N.Y., exercised their right to vote as students in New Hampshire after the Supreme Court held up a lower court decision that blocked a new voter registration law pending a full hearing and final order on constitutionality. The law would have required everyone, including students, to claim residency in the state when registering to vote.
UNH student Nicholas Thimm, 21, of New York said he was excited about having the opportunity to vote in New Hampshire.
“I think it gives students a little more leniency and a better way to connect with where they go to school and what state they’re in,” Thimm said.
Other students said they missed the deadline to vote by absentee ballot in their home towns and were glad they would not miss their chance to vote.
UNH student Michelle Ditomaso, 19, of Peabody, Mass., was one of those students who missed the absentee deadline. She said she did not really pay attention to the voter registration issue but just happened to find out she could vote in Durham.
UNH student Elizabeth Izzo, 20, of Lake Placid, N.Y., said she felt “grown up” being able to vote in her first Presidential election.
“I’m glad that I can vote here. I missed the absentee ballot for New York so I am glad I can still vote,” Izzo said.
Turnout at the polls in Durham was heavy first thing in the morning, town administrator Todd Selig said. It continued to be steady throughout the morning.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Charles M. Arlinghaus: Taxation without representation again? - 2
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 8
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 2
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 1
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 6
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
Market Basket community waits and watches
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride