Home » Opinion » Editorials
City charter vote: Don't forget it
Manchester voters elect nine members to the city charter commission today. Those nine people will be tasked with amending the city's charter, which is essentially the city's constitution. It's the document that lays out the operational structure of the city government.
Why does the city have a school board that sets school policies but is dependent on the aldermen for money? Because it's in the charter. Why does the city have two at-large aldermen and school-board members who are elected citywide and do not represent a specific ward? Because it's in the charter. Why is the city welfare commissioner elected rather than appointed? Because it's in the charter.
The charter commission can amend these and other charter provisions. Among the issues that probably will be discussed by the next commission: employee contracts, whether the school system should be a department rather than a separate entity run by the school board, whether we should have at-large aldermen and school-board members, and what kinds of boards and commissions the city should have to help run departments.
The New Hampshire Union Leader endorses seven candidates for the commission. We include in this list B.J. Perry, whom we should have had in our list of endorsed candidates last week. Our seven candidates are:
Skip Ashooh, Tom De Blois, Rich Girard, Will Infantine, B.J. Perry, Tammy Simmons and Dave Wihby.
When you vote in Manchester today, please don't forget to vote for charter commission members. It is your city. Take charge of it.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- AG inspector assaulted while monitoring polls in Newmarket - 1
- Meredith turnout near 50 percent - 0
- Turnout could top 50 percent in Chester; no incidents reported - 0
- Warren voters go to the polls - 0
- Bedford expected to exceed state average for voter turnout - 0
- Steady turnout in Plaistow for election - 0
- Student voting down at the polls in Plymouth - 0
- Busy voting in Merrimack - 0
- Voter turnout steady in Derry - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl will go as scheduled - 0
- Red Sox think they got free agent signings right this time - 0
- Turkey Bowls: Passion always on the menu - 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl: Crusaders aim to rewrite history - 0
- Dave Solomon's Power Plays: Who knew what and when in PSNH scrubber case? - 0
- Story of Marine Memorial at Hampton Beach begins with Bill Downs - 0
- Immigrants include ethnic dishes at their Thanksgiving table - 0
- Puritans in America: Daniel Webster on religion's role - 0
- Mitt Romney is out front, but says he's not running again - 0
On being American: A point for reflection
Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket
Person found dead in Manchester alley