Rockingham County sheriff, county attorney win reelection
BRENTWOOD - Rockingham County Sheriff Michael Downing and County Attorney James Reams have handily won reelection based on unofficial voting results from Tuesday's election.
While the Secretary of State's office must still tabulate the numbers to confirm final results, preliminary numbers from the city of Portsmouth and the 36 towns in the county show Downing, the Republican incumbent from Salem, with 79,816 votes to Democratic challenger John Clark's 69,217.
In the county attorney's race, Reams, the Republican incumbent, had 76,410 votes while Democratic opponent Joe Plaia took in 58,441 votes. Preliminary totals for Libertarian candidate Max Abramson weren't available, but he appeared to lag far behind Downing and Reams in most towns.
"I am humbled that the citizens of Rockingham County continue to support my vision for the County Attorney's Office," said Reams, a Hampton resident.
Downing didn't have final numbers and was still waiting for results from a few towns Wednesday morning, but he said that “all indications are the numbers show we've won reelection.”
Downing was encouraged by the nearly 10,000-vote difference between him and Clark.
“It shows that people appreciate the job we're doing in the sheriff's department and they have faith in us. That's very positive,” Downing said.
Clark, a Rye resident, said he wasn't sure of the outcome of the race as he wasn't gathering numbers Tuesday night.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Betsy McCaughey: Congress should take the lead on Iraq - 2
- Another View - Rick Santorum: When Israel needs our help, we have to be there - 0
- Thomas Sowell: Liberal urban police policies won't quell riots - 0
- Another View -- Frank Guinta: I am uniquely qualified to represent NH in Congress - 11
- Deroy Murdock: The indictment of Rick Perry is bizarre and unfounded - 0
- Another View - Marc Champion: A strong terror policy would cure Obama's golf woes - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Obama confuses the TV world with the real one - 2
- George Will: In defense of the defenders - 0
- Roger Simon: Is Ferguson the future? - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Patnode poised to win NH Weekly Series crown - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer Preview: Talent to boot - 0
- Last call at home for Fisher Cats tonight - 0
- Jessica Goldman was on the move - 0
- Band camp gets Memorial musicians in rhythm a week early - 1
- Drew Cline: Small sleights of hand in Republican primaries around NH - 0
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 6
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 1
- Scott and Genevieve Kelley - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help