Home » News » Politics » Election 2014 Blog
Rockingham County sheriff, county attorney win reelection
BRENTWOOD - Rockingham County Sheriff Michael Downing and County Attorney James Reams have handily won reelection based on unofficial voting results from Tuesday's election.
While the Secretary of State's office must still tabulate the numbers to confirm final results, preliminary numbers from the city of Portsmouth and the 36 towns in the county show Downing, the Republican incumbent from Salem, with 79,816 votes to Democratic challenger John Clark's 69,217.
In the county attorney's race, Reams, the Republican incumbent, had 76,410 votes while Democratic opponent Joe Plaia took in 58,441 votes. Preliminary totals for Libertarian candidate Max Abramson weren't available, but he appeared to lag far behind Downing and Reams in most towns.
"I am humbled that the citizens of Rockingham County continue to support my vision for the County Attorney's Office," said Reams, a Hampton resident.
Downing didn't have final numbers and was still waiting for results from a few towns Wednesday morning, but he said that “all indications are the numbers show we've won reelection.”
Downing was encouraged by the nearly 10,000-vote difference between him and Clark.
“It shows that people appreciate the job we're doing in the sheriff's department and they have faith in us. That's very positive,” Downing said.
Clark, a Rye resident, said he wasn't sure of the outcome of the race as he wasn't gathering numbers Tuesday night.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Thomas Sowell: The 'experts' look down on you - 2
- Kathy Sullivan: We need to rethink some of our county government positions - 12
- David Harsanyi: The two-state solution is dead - 2
- Pat Buchanan: A rogue President remakes America - 2
- Another View -- Max Boot: Six steps to a better strategy for defeating ISIS - 1
- Jonah Goldberg: Wait, when did we finish talking about Gruber? - 5
- Charles Krauthammer: The climate pact swindle - 1
- Roger Simon: So why don't the media report better news? - 0
- George Will: Required reading on a Rockefeller - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester police investigating after man stabbed in neck - 0
- Abuse history at Nashua address where 3-year-old died - 0
- Franklin robbery suspect sought, considered armed and dangerous - 0
- Rymes Oil employees pull Bradford man from flaming wreck, but driver succumbs to injuries - 0
- Franklin man and woman arraigned for attempted prostitution of minor - 0
- Rymes is ready to roll following Fred Fuller purchase - 0
- Police investigating death of 3-year-old girl in Nashua - 7
- Police say hit-and-run driver was observed tossing beer cans from car - 1
- City championship on the line Thanksgiving Day - 1
Manchester school exec contract squeaks by
Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass.
Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket
On being American: A point for reflection