Home » Opinion » Editorials
What now? Deal with the debt
The federal debt rose by $4.9 trillion during the two terms of President George W. Bush. It has already risen by more than $5 trillion under President Obama. At $16.2 trillion today, it is about 71 percent of gross domestic product. That cannot continue.
President Bush's excuses were war and Medicare. President Obama's excuses were the recession and the slow recovery. The time for excuses is over; the time to get the debt under control is now.
Two years ago the Congressional Budget Office warned that "growing budget deficits will cause debt to rise to unsupportable levels. Although deficits during or shortly after a recession generally hasten economic recovery, persistent deficits and continually mounting debt would have several negative economic consequences for the United States."
Among those negative consequences: As more money is sucked from the economy to finance the borrowing, economic growth would slow, and "rising debt would increasingly restrict the ability of policymakers to use fiscal policy to respond to unexpected challenges, such as economic downturns or international crises."
The warning was ignored. If such warnings continue to be ignored, we will be forced into another economic downturn by the sheer weight of our debt alone.
Let's get our spending under control so that doesn't happen.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Santos drives in three as Curve beat Fisher Cats in 10 - 0
- Large billboards grabbing attention on Route 101 in Epping - 1
- Pearl Street lot proposal involves student housing in Manchester - 0
- Manchester VFW posts fights to survive without poker cash - 0
- Surveillance led NSA to 50 terror 'events' - 0
- One arrested as Concord gun-control rally gets rowdy - 13
- Celtics, Clippers call off Doc deal - 0
- High school football is in the air as CHad practice opens - 0
- Agencies to offer summer food service to Derry children in need - 0
Voter restrictions: Who will govern us?
Nashua couple's deaths called suspicious
Mother of drowned baby gets prison time