Home » Sports » Basketball » Celtics/NBA
Celtics taken to OT by Wizards
BOSTON -- Kevin Garnett had a strong game on both ends as he collected 20 points and 13 rebounds and Boston did enough to defeat visiting Washington, 100-94, in overtime in the second game of a home-and-home set.
Rajon Rondo had his fourth double-double in as many games by adding 18 points and 14 assists while Paul Pierce had 15 points and 10 rebounds. Jason Terry also chipped in 16 points off the bench as the Celtics won despite squandering a 10-point lead and making 19 turnovers
Kevin Seraphin, Martell Webster and rookie Bradley Beal led the winless Wizards with 16 points apiece. A.J. Price added 15 and Chris Singleton chipped in 14 for Washington, which made 10 3-pointers.
Unlike Saturday's game when the Celtics never trailed, there were 14 lead changes and 13 ties as momentum changed hands several times during the fourth quarter. The Celtics appeared to seize a two-point win when Rondo hit a fadeaway with 26.4 seconds remaining in the fourth quarter but Singleton came back with a driving dunk that forced overtime.
The Celtics never trailed in overtime and went ahead for good when Brandon Bass hit a free throw. Bass also added a layup with 1:51 remaining and Rondo partially blocked a 3-point attempt by Beal on Washington's next possession.
- - - - - - -
GAME NOTEBOOK: In his first two home games, Pierce has shot 5-of-22. ... Rookie F Jared Sullinger made his second straight start for Boston and collected four points and as many rebounds. ...For the second straight game, Seraphin was forced into a turnover by Garnett in the final 30 seconds of the fourth quarter. ... Rondo's streak of double-digit assists reached 28 games dating back to last season. That is the longest streak since John Stockton put together a run of 29 in 1992.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Celtics' objective against Knicks: Make it to Friday - 0
- Celtics beat Knicks in OT, force Game 5 - 0
- Knicks push Celtics to the brink - 0
- Another Celts meltdown as Knicks take command of series - 0
- Celts 'point' to Garnett for solutions - 0
- Too much Carmelo as Knicks top Celtics in Game 1 - 0
- C's end regular season on losing note - 0
- Celtics clinch No. 7 seed with easy win over Magic - 0
- Heat's stars get better of Celtics - 0
READER COMMENTS: 5
- House kills Hassan-backed casino bill, 199-164 - 10
- Threats at Goffstown High ‘not credible’ - 0
- House votes to ban lead sinkers and jigs over an ounce - 8
- House passes auto dealers bill of rights - 2
- Rochester man facing up to 30 years in prison for brutal assault - 1
- Man who confronts burglar in Nashua gets bit - 0
- Police say Nashua man struck woman with Jeep - 0
- Pease chosen to receive new KC-46A refueling tanker; to bring 100 jobs - 9
- FBI agent kills Florida man during questioning about Marathon bombing suspect - 3
License revocations for DWI announced
UPDATED: Derry marks a soldier's death
Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs