Home » Sports » Basketball » Celtics/NBA
Celtics taken to OT by Wizards
BOSTON -- Kevin Garnett had a strong game on both ends as he collected 20 points and 13 rebounds and Boston did enough to defeat visiting Washington, 100-94, in overtime in the second game of a home-and-home set.
Rajon Rondo had his fourth double-double in as many games by adding 18 points and 14 assists while Paul Pierce had 15 points and 10 rebounds. Jason Terry also chipped in 16 points off the bench as the Celtics won despite squandering a 10-point lead and making 19 turnovers
Kevin Seraphin, Martell Webster and rookie Bradley Beal led the winless Wizards with 16 points apiece. A.J. Price added 15 and Chris Singleton chipped in 14 for Washington, which made 10 3-pointers.
Unlike Saturday's game when the Celtics never trailed, there were 14 lead changes and 13 ties as momentum changed hands several times during the fourth quarter. The Celtics appeared to seize a two-point win when Rondo hit a fadeaway with 26.4 seconds remaining in the fourth quarter but Singleton came back with a driving dunk that forced overtime.
The Celtics never trailed in overtime and went ahead for good when Brandon Bass hit a free throw. Bass also added a layup with 1:51 remaining and Rondo partially blocked a 3-point attempt by Beal on Washington's next possession.
- - - - - - -
GAME NOTEBOOK: In his first two home games, Pierce has shot 5-of-22. ... Rookie F Jared Sullinger made his second straight start for Boston and collected four points and as many rebounds. ...For the second straight game, Seraphin was forced into a turnover by Garnett in the final 30 seconds of the fourth quarter. ... Rondo's streak of double-digit assists reached 28 games dating back to last season. That is the longest streak since John Stockton put together a run of 29 in 1992.
READER COMMENTS: 11
- Learning the way of the gun in Wakefield - 2
- Peterborough's renovated Adams Pool to open in June - 0
- Supreme Court says Manchester man who lost towed car while hospitalized can sue - 4
- Powerball jackpot: Another chance at the (your) golden ticket - 1
- Endowment established for Milford support organization Bridges - 0
- Flags to fly at half-staff Wednesday and Friday - 0
- NH Lottery games debut Mother's Day - 0
- Marathon bomber's body entombed in undisclosed location - 1
- Powerball jackpot grows to $270 million for Saturday - 0
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Disengaged: Obama's lousy excuse - 0
- Underestimating NH: Gun control picks two wrong targets - 3
- Roaming jihadis: A terrorist visits Manchester - 2
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: School board on the defensive over Cupcake-gate - 1
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: All eyes on House as casino vote nears - 0
- 43 killers on lifetime parole - but where? - 0
- Official says NH abortion sites need state scrutiny - 3
- Chechen decries Boston attack - 0
- Heroin use, deaths spike in New Hampshire - 0
43 killers on lifetime parole - but where?
Heroin use, deaths spike in New Hampshire
Ortiz knocks in six in Red Sox win
Berlin man dies while kayaking
UNH hires firm to redesign one of its logos