Home » Sports » Basketball » Celtics/NBA
Celtics taken to OT by Wizards
BOSTON -- Kevin Garnett had a strong game on both ends as he collected 20 points and 13 rebounds and Boston did enough to defeat visiting Washington, 100-94, in overtime in the second game of a home-and-home set.
Rajon Rondo had his fourth double-double in as many games by adding 18 points and 14 assists while Paul Pierce had 15 points and 10 rebounds. Jason Terry also chipped in 16 points off the bench as the Celtics won despite squandering a 10-point lead and making 19 turnovers
Kevin Seraphin, Martell Webster and rookie Bradley Beal led the winless Wizards with 16 points apiece. A.J. Price added 15 and Chris Singleton chipped in 14 for Washington, which made 10 3-pointers.
Unlike Saturday's game when the Celtics never trailed, there were 14 lead changes and 13 ties as momentum changed hands several times during the fourth quarter. The Celtics appeared to seize a two-point win when Rondo hit a fadeaway with 26.4 seconds remaining in the fourth quarter but Singleton came back with a driving dunk that forced overtime.
The Celtics never trailed in overtime and went ahead for good when Brandon Bass hit a free throw. Bass also added a layup with 1:51 remaining and Rondo partially blocked a 3-point attempt by Beal on Washington's next possession.
- - - - - - -
GAME NOTEBOOK: In his first two home games, Pierce has shot 5-of-22. ... Rookie F Jared Sullinger made his second straight start for Boston and collected four points and as many rebounds. ...For the second straight game, Seraphin was forced into a turnover by Garnett in the final 30 seconds of the fourth quarter. ... Rondo's streak of double-digit assists reached 28 games dating back to last season. That is the longest streak since John Stockton put together a run of 29 in 1992.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Green, Celtics blow out Cavs - 0
- Celtics late rally falls short - 0
- Crawford, Celtics ease past Bobcats - 0
- Celtics top Hawks to halt six-game skid - 0
- Spurs top Celtics to extend win streak - 0
- Timberwolves hand Celtics third straight loss - 0
- Aldridge double-double sends Celtics to loss - 0
- Warning sign saves former St. A hoop coach Clifford - 0
- Bobcats end Celtics' four-game win streak - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Convicted drug dealer arrested in Nashua on more drug charges - 0
- Former Plaistow finance director charged with theft - 0
- Police: Laconia man threatened harm to toddler - 0
- Hooksett officer struck by motorist - 1
- UPDATE: Thornton woman dies after being struck by car in Campton - 0
- Sen. Ayotte pushes for bigger broadband bang for buck - 0
- Somersworth man dies in head-on crash with car driven by Dover City Councilor Michael Weeden - 1
- Hanover’s Grabill named top regional soccer coach - 0
- Londonderry's Aliza Simpson chooses UNH for basketball - 0
Somersworth man dies in head-on crash with car driven by Dover City Councilor Michael Weeden
Ex-Tyco CEO granted parole
What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out'
Boy wounded by bullet was to be released
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown cites NH as example of Obamacare 'trainwreck,' will keynote NHGOP event