Home » Sports » Basketball » Celtics/NBA
Celtics taken to OT by Wizards
BOSTON -- Kevin Garnett had a strong game on both ends as he collected 20 points and 13 rebounds and Boston did enough to defeat visiting Washington, 100-94, in overtime in the second game of a home-and-home set.
Rajon Rondo had his fourth double-double in as many games by adding 18 points and 14 assists while Paul Pierce had 15 points and 10 rebounds. Jason Terry also chipped in 16 points off the bench as the Celtics won despite squandering a 10-point lead and making 19 turnovers
Kevin Seraphin, Martell Webster and rookie Bradley Beal led the winless Wizards with 16 points apiece. A.J. Price added 15 and Chris Singleton chipped in 14 for Washington, which made 10 3-pointers.
Unlike Saturday's game when the Celtics never trailed, there were 14 lead changes and 13 ties as momentum changed hands several times during the fourth quarter. The Celtics appeared to seize a two-point win when Rondo hit a fadeaway with 26.4 seconds remaining in the fourth quarter but Singleton came back with a driving dunk that forced overtime.
The Celtics never trailed in overtime and went ahead for good when Brandon Bass hit a free throw. Bass also added a layup with 1:51 remaining and Rondo partially blocked a 3-point attempt by Beal on Washington's next possession.
- - - - - - -
GAME NOTEBOOK: In his first two home games, Pierce has shot 5-of-22. ... Rookie F Jared Sullinger made his second straight start for Boston and collected four points and as many rebounds. ...For the second straight game, Seraphin was forced into a turnover by Garnett in the final 30 seconds of the fourth quarter. ... Rondo's streak of double-digit assists reached 28 games dating back to last season. That is the longest streak since John Stockton put together a run of 29 in 1992.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 21 in Concord wake to find their tires slashed - 0
- House proposes special session to decide Medicaid expansion - 2
- NH man to be tried in $13 million mortgage fraud scheme - 0
- UPDATE: Elderly Nashua couple were stabbed to death - 2
- UPDATE: Police say man found dead outside Wall Street Towers jumped - 4
- House, Senate at standoff over vaccines, voter registration bill - 0
- Rochester parents called to court to answer for truant children - 2
- Exeter High teachers' resignations announced at meeting - 0
- Rochester woman under arrest in underage party - 0
Voter restrictions: Who will govern us?
UPDATED: Apology issued for naming of Boston bomber as a victim of gun violence at Concord rally