Home » Opinion » Editorials
Farewell, Mitt: You made a good run
The way Mitt Romney handled himself on the campaign trail since becoming the 2012 Republican presidential nominee raised our estimation of him. Though he did not run a great campaign, he did run an energetic one focused on the right issue - the economy - and offering a credible, serious proposal for accelerating the recovery and getting America back to work.
Alas, as we predicted during the Republican presidential primary, Romney's inherent inability to articulate a compelling Republican message for the voters and make an emotional connection with them contrasted poorly with Barack Obama's singular ability to do both, and it cost him the election.
Romney's selection of Paul Ryan as his running mate showed a willingness to take the risks necessary to win. But Ryan's political strengths could not overcome Romney's political weaknesses.
Mitt Romney might have made a very good President of the United States. He certainly would have made a better President than the current holder of the office. In our system, though, it is not enough to be the better executive. One has to be the better campaigner, too. Romney was not. But he made a tremendous effort and gave President Obama a real fight. We appreciate how hard he campaigned, and we know that a lot of other folks on our side of the aisle do as well. He makes an admirable exit from presidential politics, which is more than can be said for some of his primary opponents.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Former NH state trooper gets new state job after 2010 conviction - 18
- Public hearing is set in Portsmouth on plan to beddown 12 KC-46A aircraft - 0
- U.N. denies reports representative in Ukraine seized in Crimea - 0
- Frigid weather has maple producers expecting a 'couple of weeks' delay - 0
- NH Motor Speedway founder selling lakeside estate for NH-record $49 million - 7
- Crotched Mountain honors its farming roots with tree farm honor - 0
- 'Our lost duck friends' remembered - 23
- UPDATE: America selects Preston for top 13 in "American Idol" - 0
- UPDATE: Mont Vernon man chosen as ‘American Idol’ top 20 contestant - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH delays enforcing liquor warehouse pact - 1
- Planned Parenthood funds S&M Web video - 0
- John DiStaso's Granite Status: Gatsas incensed by unauthorized use of his phone number for 'robocalls' - 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Vote on death penalty repeal set for Wednesday - 0
- Legislative ethics: NH way works better than most - 0
- Blue shame: Obamacare's big change - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Newest Monarchs making impact - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Aging catchers cause for concern - 0
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: It was all about chickens, alleged threats and nocturnal wanderings - 1
NH delays enforcing liquor warehouse pact
Planned Parenthood funds S&M Web video
Ted Siefer's City Hall: It was all about chickens, alleged threats and nocturnal wanderings