Home » Opinion » Editorials
Farewell, Mitt: You made a good run
The way Mitt Romney handled himself on the campaign trail since becoming the 2012 Republican presidential nominee raised our estimation of him. Though he did not run a great campaign, he did run an energetic one focused on the right issue - the economy - and offering a credible, serious proposal for accelerating the recovery and getting America back to work.
Alas, as we predicted during the Republican presidential primary, Romney's inherent inability to articulate a compelling Republican message for the voters and make an emotional connection with them contrasted poorly with Barack Obama's singular ability to do both, and it cost him the election.
Romney's selection of Paul Ryan as his running mate showed a willingness to take the risks necessary to win. But Ryan's political strengths could not overcome Romney's political weaknesses.
Mitt Romney might have made a very good President of the United States. He certainly would have made a better President than the current holder of the office. In our system, though, it is not enough to be the better executive. One has to be the better campaigner, too. Romney was not. But he made a tremendous effort and gave President Obama a real fight. We appreciate how hard he campaigned, and we know that a lot of other folks on our side of the aisle do as well. He makes an admirable exit from presidential politics, which is more than can be said for some of his primary opponents.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- David M. Shribman: Today, give thanks to Daniel Webster - 1
- George Will: Thanks for the entertainment, America - 0
- John Stossel: Be thankful for American property rights - 0
- Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket - 7
- Charles Arlinghaus: 'Tis the season for budget games and gimmicks - 0
- Thomas Sowell: The 'experts' look down on you - 2
- Kathy Sullivan: We need to rethink some of our county government positions - 13
- David Harsanyi: The two-state solution is dead - 2
- Pat Buchanan: A rogue President remakes America - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Celtics Insider: Celtics rule Smart out of tomorrow's game against Chicago - 0
- Berube the backbone of Monarchs' team 'D' - 0
- Packers QB Revis will pose a challenge for Patriots - 0
- Hudson may start charging for non-transport ambulance calls - 0
- NH suffers 4th worst outage on record - 0
- Camping out didn't pay for shoppers - 0
- Newsreel: Concord economic forecast; Tech Council hosts forum; UNH Fairchild Dairy honored - 0
- Londonderry-based MegaFood launches transparency project in vitamin industry - 0
- Grant program to help Granite State students with loans - 0
NH suffers 4th worst outage on record
Camping out didn't pay for shoppers