Home » Opinion » Editorials
Farewell, Mitt: You made a good run
The way Mitt Romney handled himself on the campaign trail since becoming the 2012 Republican presidential nominee raised our estimation of him. Though he did not run a great campaign, he did run an energetic one focused on the right issue - the economy - and offering a credible, serious proposal for accelerating the recovery and getting America back to work.
Alas, as we predicted during the Republican presidential primary, Romney's inherent inability to articulate a compelling Republican message for the voters and make an emotional connection with them contrasted poorly with Barack Obama's singular ability to do both, and it cost him the election.
Romney's selection of Paul Ryan as his running mate showed a willingness to take the risks necessary to win. But Ryan's political strengths could not overcome Romney's political weaknesses.
Mitt Romney might have made a very good President of the United States. He certainly would have made a better President than the current holder of the office. In our system, though, it is not enough to be the better executive. One has to be the better campaigner, too. Romney was not. But he made a tremendous effort and gave President Obama a real fight. We appreciate how hard he campaigned, and we know that a lot of other folks on our side of the aisle do as well. He makes an admirable exit from presidential politics, which is more than can be said for some of his primary opponents.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Another View -- Fred Hiatt: Disengage from the world, and this is what happens - 0
- David Harsanyi: Are teachers really underpaid? - 9
- Jonah Goldberg: The U.N. club needs higher standards - 0
- Another View -- Mike Biundo: Where is Shaheen's gas price outrage now? - 20
- Deroy Murdock: What if Gaza were San Diego instead? - 1
- Another View -- Jayne Millerick: Dems scaring women by misleading them on contraception - 55
- Another View -- Charles Lane: Obamacare and the Constitution - 22
- John Stossel: Why are we giving the police so much power? - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 0
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
- Jays' Stroman stymies Red Sox - 0
- Police seeking help to identify alleged credit card thieves - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
When company comes, opt for variety
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
Win tickets to see Ziggy Marley
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride