Home » Opinion » Editorials
Farewell, Mitt: You made a good run
The way Mitt Romney handled himself on the campaign trail since becoming the 2012 Republican presidential nominee raised our estimation of him. Though he did not run a great campaign, he did run an energetic one focused on the right issue - the economy - and offering a credible, serious proposal for accelerating the recovery and getting America back to work.
Alas, as we predicted during the Republican presidential primary, Romney's inherent inability to articulate a compelling Republican message for the voters and make an emotional connection with them contrasted poorly with Barack Obama's singular ability to do both, and it cost him the election.
Romney's selection of Paul Ryan as his running mate showed a willingness to take the risks necessary to win. But Ryan's political strengths could not overcome Romney's political weaknesses.
Mitt Romney might have made a very good President of the United States. He certainly would have made a better President than the current holder of the office. In our system, though, it is not enough to be the better executive. One has to be the better campaigner, too. Romney was not. But he made a tremendous effort and gave President Obama a real fight. We appreciate how hard he campaigned, and we know that a lot of other folks on our side of the aisle do as well. He makes an admirable exit from presidential politics, which is more than can be said for some of his primary opponents.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Kathy Sullivan: Scott Brown’s prospects for a U.S. Senate win are poor - 0
- Deroy Murdock: A 'reset' with Russia that would get Putin's attention - 0
- Helen DePrima: How Obamacare worsened my health insurance - 14
- Jonah Goldberg: On Russia, Obama is stuck in the past - 3
- Ray Wieczorek: Joe Kenney is the man for the job - 1
- Roger Simon: How would Hillary handle Putin? - 2
- Charles Krauthammer: The wages of weakness - 0
- George Will: The face of IRS behavior - 0
- Another View -- Diana Lacey: Union Leader editorial got gas tax hearing all wrong - 7
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester man who defrauded banks in mortgage foreclosure scheme gets 6 years - 0
- March storm brings accumulation mystery, maybe misery - 0
- Manchester’s Slebodnick stars in Cornell’s title win - 0
- NHIAA Girls’ Div. I final four offers intriguing matchups - 0
- Goffstown voters have lots to consider with schools - 0
- With snow budget depleted, Nashua dips into trust fund - 0
- Manchester CrimeWatch: Graffiti charge keeps teen’s bail from changing - 0
- Police union contract a top concern for Bedford voters - 0
- Proposed school budget creates stir in Allenstown - 0
Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal
Manchester schools project budget surplus