Home » Opinion » Editorials
Farewell, Mitt: You made a good run
The way Mitt Romney handled himself on the campaign trail since becoming the 2012 Republican presidential nominee raised our estimation of him. Though he did not run a great campaign, he did run an energetic one focused on the right issue - the economy - and offering a credible, serious proposal for accelerating the recovery and getting America back to work.
Alas, as we predicted during the Republican presidential primary, Romney's inherent inability to articulate a compelling Republican message for the voters and make an emotional connection with them contrasted poorly with Barack Obama's singular ability to do both, and it cost him the election.
Romney's selection of Paul Ryan as his running mate showed a willingness to take the risks necessary to win. But Ryan's political strengths could not overcome Romney's political weaknesses.
Mitt Romney might have made a very good President of the United States. He certainly would have made a better President than the current holder of the office. In our system, though, it is not enough to be the better executive. One has to be the better campaigner, too. Romney was not. But he made a tremendous effort and gave President Obama a real fight. We appreciate how hard he campaigned, and we know that a lot of other folks on our side of the aisle do as well. He makes an admirable exit from presidential politics, which is more than can be said for some of his primary opponents.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Christmas spirit: Do you have more than a homeless man? - 1
- The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama - 27
- Obama gets smoked: Castros celebrate in Havana - 36
- On naming the victim: It is Kibby's story now - 0
- After Newtown: A gun rights revival - 39
- Vermont's disaster: An Obamedy of errors - 15
- Jeb takes a dip: First Flavor of the Week - 21
- Asking about marriage: The Census should keep doing it - 3
- All lives matter: Even Al Sharpton says so - 14
READER COMMENTS: 0
- These all-natural candles can double as massage oil - 0
- Dave D'Onfrio's Patriots Notebook: Finding a way to win - 0
- Sam Asano's Let's Invent: NoNose gets readers talking like nobody's business - 0
- Know the Law: Your trust can be named beneficiary of an IRA - 0
- Another View -- Bill O'Brien: Ask your state rep. to vote for transparency in the House - 18
- Old friends and a 'homeless angel' make for good stories anytime - 0
- Clooney gets it: Sony attack was not a 'crime' - 6
- New coats warm city kids, firefighters' hearts - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Martin, Pinkerton top Salem in tournament - 0
The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama
Human intervention hobbling ice fishermen