Home » Opinion » Editorials
Voter ID: New law was a success
Remember how the state's new voter ID law was going to bring about a massive disenfranchisement of voters, especially college students? Well, so much for that idea.
The voter ID law was a success. Voters who did not have an ID were allowed to vote as long as they signed an affidavit declaring their identity. It worked just as intended: Voters had to prove their identity before obtaining a ballot, but no one was turned away for lack of an ID.
All the fear-mongering about the law proved to be baseless, which is no surprise. Many of those who screamed about voter suppression knew the law contained the affidavit provision, but their goal was to demonize Republicans, not inform voters.
The law might actually have helped Democrats. Young people turned out in large numbers to vote for Democrats, and there is some anecdotal evidence that college students were inspired by the voter ID law to make a statement by showing up on Election Day.
No doubt Democrats will try to repeal the law anyway. But Tuesday's experience weakens any rationale they will have for doing so.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA track meets rescheduled to Sunday - 0
- High School Lacrosse: Trinity a pushover no longer - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Santos hits milestone in BG girls’ lacrosse win - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: BG girls’ tennis team sweeps Pinkerton - 0
- Milford's Morgan Andrews named Gatorade NationalGirls Soccer Player of the Year - 0
- Goffstown team to beat in NHIAA Div. II baseball tourney - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Bedford rolls in NHIAA tennis tournament opener - 0
- Roger Brown's Diamond Notes: Londonderry’s double threat - 0
- Bedford's Shapiro hits lacrosse milestone - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Talk of UNH logo change brings out passions - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Gosselin stepping down as city AD - 0
- Lackey sharp as Red Sox pound Cleveland, Masterson - 0
- Manchester Vet Center just 'a great place' - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Bedford netmen earn spot in state final - 0
- NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013 - 0
- Two found dead in Belmont; one man detained as part of investigation - 0
- Weather this weekend may be more like Veterans Day - 0
- Awards cap city's Small Business Week - 0
NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013
Memorial Day services, events around NH
Just say it: Our fight is with radical Islam
The casino vote: The House did its duty