Home » Opinion » Editorials
Voter ID: New law was a success
Remember how the state's new voter ID law was going to bring about a massive disenfranchisement of voters, especially college students? Well, so much for that idea.
The voter ID law was a success. Voters who did not have an ID were allowed to vote as long as they signed an affidavit declaring their identity. It worked just as intended: Voters had to prove their identity before obtaining a ballot, but no one was turned away for lack of an ID.
All the fear-mongering about the law proved to be baseless, which is no surprise. Many of those who screamed about voter suppression knew the law contained the affidavit provision, but their goal was to demonize Republicans, not inform voters.
The law might actually have helped Democrats. Young people turned out in large numbers to vote for Democrats, and there is some anecdotal evidence that college students were inspired by the voter ID law to make a statement by showing up on Election Day.
No doubt Democrats will try to repeal the law anyway. But Tuesday's experience weakens any rationale they will have for doing so.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 'Economic patriotism'; tax rates and border jumpers - 2
- Do the job, leave; a NH candidate makes sense - 6
- Faith and freedom; a near-martyr comes to NH - 4
- Innis with terrorists? A low blow from Guinta - 2
- Basket case: Saga of a supermarket - 12
- Ryan Pitts: Reluctant hero - 0
- Relief and questions: Abby Hernandez returns home - 0
- Insanity: Obamacare and the rule of law - 61
- What’s the rush? Executive Council follows Pelosi plan - 3
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Real estate transfer tax proposal pulled off table - 0
- Protesting information: Picket sign o' the times - 0
- Another View -- Mike Biundo: Where is Shaheen's gas price outrage now? - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: A humbling — and inspiring — event - 0
- Developer says proposed LNG plant in Groveton 'on hold' - 0
- Motivation Matters: 'Giving 110 percent' says more than you think - 0
- Know the Law: Do I need a prenup? - 0
- Life's just a great big game for Dan Yarrington - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: At Zaboo, 'You'll fit right in ...' - 0
Win tickets to see Cher's D2K Tour
E-cigarettes find a market in NH
Protesting workers nix Market Basket amnesty
Faith and freedom; a near-martyr comes to NH
Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee