Home » Opinion » Editorials
Voter ID: New law was a success
Remember how the state's new voter ID law was going to bring about a massive disenfranchisement of voters, especially college students? Well, so much for that idea.
The voter ID law was a success. Voters who did not have an ID were allowed to vote as long as they signed an affidavit declaring their identity. It worked just as intended: Voters had to prove their identity before obtaining a ballot, but no one was turned away for lack of an ID.
All the fear-mongering about the law proved to be baseless, which is no surprise. Many of those who screamed about voter suppression knew the law contained the affidavit provision, but their goal was to demonize Republicans, not inform voters.
The law might actually have helped Democrats. Young people turned out in large numbers to vote for Democrats, and there is some anecdotal evidence that college students were inspired by the voter ID law to make a statement by showing up on Election Day.
No doubt Democrats will try to repeal the law anyway. But Tuesday's experience weakens any rationale they will have for doing so.
READER COMMENTS: 8
- Bad Joe: Levasseur stalls again - 2
- Good Joe: Kenney for Executive Council - 1
- Insurance exchange: NH Dems, GOP switch sides - 2
- Bottle store blues: The useless grocery mandate - 2
- Finding city revenue: Seek more private partners - 0
- Putin's freedom: Obama's weakness - 42
- Safe seats, frequent flyers - 0
- Sports volunteers: Eric Mommsen embodies the spirit - 0
- Issa drops in: Doesn't match media slant - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball: Merrimack survives scare - 0
- NHIAA Tournament Roundup: Central breaks away from Exeter - 0
- College Hockey: Dartmouth drops tournament opener - 0
- FEMA OKs $8m for repairs in Lincoln, Lebanon - 0
- Official says Manchester lost out on $1.5m for cell tower court has now ordered built - 6
- John Habib's City Sports: Derryfield's 'Mouse' made his mark - 1
- Rondo leads Celtics past Nets - 0
- Hats off to O'Neill, Monarchs - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball: Maughn, Memorial top Londonderry - 0
Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief