Home » Sports » College Sports
Men's Soccer: UNH falls to UMBC on PKs in America East title game
BALTIMORE. – The University of New Hampshire men's soccer team fell in a heartbreaking scenario in the America East Championship when UMBC tallied a 4-2 penalty kick victory.
The Wildcats finish the season with a record of 7-7-6 while UMBC moves on to the NCAA tournament with a record of 11-4-5.
The game was scorless after regulation and two overtimes. That sent the contest to penalty kicks.
Milo Kapor led off for UMBC, sending his attempt to the left side of the net for the 1-0 advantage. Jordan Thomas (Mohnton, Pa.) notched a goal on his first attempt for the Wildcats to level the score at 1-1. Kansaye went second for UMBC and notched his attempt to the right side of the goal. Up second for UNH was Lukas Goerigk (Berlin, Germany). His shot to the right side was blocked by Saunders, giving UMBC a 2-1 advantage.
Liam Paddock scored on the third attempt for UMBC, bringing the advantage to 3-1 in favor of the Retrievers. Palumbo curved his shot to the right side of the target to cut the UMBC lead to 3-2. Darces scored the fourth penalty kick for UMBC to bring the lead to 4-2. Ryan McNabb (Downingtown, Pa.) went fourth for the Wildcats. After sending his attempt to the lower left corner, Saunders made the save to give the Retrievers a 4-2 victory and the America East Championship title.
Worra tied a conference record with three consecutive shutouts in the post-season while the Wildcats now own the conference record for consecutive playoff-shutouts with six.
-- UNH Sports Information
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fisher Cats score in 9th to win - 0
- Former NASCAR driver Trickle dead in apparent suicide - 0
- NHIAA boxscores, summaries for May 14, 2013 - 0
- Manchester's Gill Stadium nearing centenial rededication, still going strong - 0
- Red Sox lose to Rangers - 0
- Glenn, Nolan power Fisher Cats to win - 0
- All done: Monarchs elminated from AHL playoffs three games to one - 0
- NH College Roundup: Evans in Pats' rookie camp - 0
- Derryfield defeats Central girls in lacrosse - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Banker convicted of fraud in scheme involving press maker exec - 0
- Mass. man charged in Nashua hit-and-run - 0
- Bedford's Shapiro hits lacrosse milestone - 0
- NHIAA boxscores, summaries for May 20, 2013 - 0
- Police say man held girlfriend in car, arrest him - 0
- Overtime puts stress on Nashua police budget - 1
- Manchester, church group seek accord on breakfast for homeless - 10
- Ky. Sen. Rand Paul to NH GOP: Let's look like America - 12
- Man gunned down on Manchester street was talented graffiti artist - 35
Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs
Texting + driving = deadly consequences
Derry marks a soldier's death
Memorial Day Observances 2013