Home » Sports » College Sports
Men's Soccer: UNH falls to UMBC on PKs in America East title game
BALTIMORE. – The University of New Hampshire men's soccer team fell in a heartbreaking scenario in the America East Championship when UMBC tallied a 4-2 penalty kick victory.
The Wildcats finish the season with a record of 7-7-6 while UMBC moves on to the NCAA tournament with a record of 11-4-5.
The game was scorless after regulation and two overtimes. That sent the contest to penalty kicks.
Milo Kapor led off for UMBC, sending his attempt to the left side of the net for the 1-0 advantage. Jordan Thomas (Mohnton, Pa.) notched a goal on his first attempt for the Wildcats to level the score at 1-1. Kansaye went second for UMBC and notched his attempt to the right side of the goal. Up second for UNH was Lukas Goerigk (Berlin, Germany). His shot to the right side was blocked by Saunders, giving UMBC a 2-1 advantage.
Liam Paddock scored on the third attempt for UMBC, bringing the advantage to 3-1 in favor of the Retrievers. Palumbo curved his shot to the right side of the target to cut the UMBC lead to 3-2. Darces scored the fourth penalty kick for UMBC to bring the lead to 4-2. Ryan McNabb (Downingtown, Pa.) went fourth for the Wildcats. After sending his attempt to the lower left corner, Saunders made the save to give the Retrievers a 4-2 victory and the America East Championship title.
Worra tied a conference record with three consecutive shutouts in the post-season while the Wildcats now own the conference record for consecutive playoff-shutouts with six.
-- UNH Sports Information
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Incredible win tempered by loss of Gronkowski - 2
- Patriots stun Cleveland in another wild comeback - 1
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Pats need to avoid the drama - 0
- Brady to suspicious Texan: Pats 'just played better' - 1
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Not half bad - 0
- Eagles’ Kelly amps up support for Foles - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Finding a way (again) - 0
- For Patriots, an imperfect victory over Houston - 0
- NH's Griffin settling into NFL with Texans - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dartmouth skaters dealt another close loss - 0
- Gaming authority offers regulatory structure - 0
- Portsmouth man gets prison for sex assault of disabled woman - 0
- Wolfeboro nursing home evacuated after minor chemical spill - 0
- Dover woman admits to bank robberies in two states - 0
- Motorists injured in two car collision on Route 9, Spofford - 0
- Arrest made in attempted robbery of Littleton gas station - 0
- Ex-Littleton man sentenced to prison for DWI crash - 0
- Greenfield planners seek input on Heritage District plan proposal - 0
Symphony NH plans pair of holiday events
Hooksett man arrested on assault charges
Driver was trying to kill himself
NH reps eyeing budget deal
Decision to tap F&G habitat fund explained
Big tipper stops for lunch
Keene to appeal Robin Hood rulings