Home » Sports » College Sports
College Hockey: DeSmith, UNH ice Vermont
Sophomore goalie Casey DeSmith posted his second-straight shutout and first career point and senior Austin Block had two goals as the ninth-ranked University of New Hampshire men's hockey team topped Vermont, 4-0, at the Whittemore Center in Durham on Saturday.
DeSmith had 27 saves to become the first Wildcat since Kevin Regan in 2007 to record consecutive shutouts. DeSmith also assisted on a short-handed goal by sophomore Grayson Downing.
UNH improved to 6-1-1 overall and 4-1-1 in Hockey East, while Vermont dropped to 1-3-2, 1-3-2.
Downing capitalized on a breakaway just 5:27 into the game, sending a shot high blocker side past Vermont goalie Brody Hoffman to give UNH a 1-0 lead.
Two minutes later, Eric Knodel scored on the power play off an assist from junior Eric Knodel and the Wildcats took a 2-0 lead into the first intermission.
Block knocked home a rebound early in the second period to extend the lead to 3-0. He added his seventh goal of the season in the third period with a shot from just inside the blue line to put the game out of reach.
Junior Kevin Goumas assisted on both Block goals and finished with three helpers. Sophomore Trevor van Riemsdyk chipped in with two assists.
UNH went 1-for-3 on the power play and outshot the Catamounts 29-27. Vermont was scoreless on its four power plays.
DeSmith also shut out Maine, 4-0, last Sunday. The Wildcats next play at 7 p.m. on Friday against host UMass-Lowell.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- H.S. Football: Knight leads South past North - 0
- H.S. Football: Trinity, with all the trimmings, runs past Central - 3
- Unchained following 34 years, Thursday's Turkey Bowl is Paul Boucher's last game - 1
- Roger Brown's First & 10: Motivation aplenty for Central and Trinity in Manchester's annual Turkey Bowl - 3
- Martinez, Rodriguez lift Salem past Lawrence - 0
- Roger Brown's First & 10: On any given Thursday - 0
- Roger Brown's First & 10: Crimson glide - 0
- Roger Brown's First & 10: This year, No. 1 is a no-doubter - 1
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Concord proves it's the state's best - 1
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Suicide bomber, gunmen kill 52 in Yemen - 0
- Manchester gas station burglarized - 0
- Conn. tractor-trailer driver charged in Manchester hit and run - 1
- John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to be in Londonderry tonight, says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans - 10
- Goffstown man held in Triangle Credit Union robbery, burglaries - 0
- 2 Bay State men arrested for Peterborough credit union robbery - 0
- Hudson man facing DWI charge after crash - 0
- Minimum wage rally at South Willow McDonald's - 8
- Frisbie hospital seeks hearing on network exclusion, information denial - 0
Dingman granted conditional parole
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to be in Londonderry tonight, says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans