Home » Sports » College Sports
College Hockey: DeSmith, UNH ice Vermont
Sophomore goalie Casey DeSmith posted his second-straight shutout and first career point and senior Austin Block had two goals as the ninth-ranked University of New Hampshire men's hockey team topped Vermont, 4-0, at the Whittemore Center in Durham on Saturday.
DeSmith had 27 saves to become the first Wildcat since Kevin Regan in 2007 to record consecutive shutouts. DeSmith also assisted on a short-handed goal by sophomore Grayson Downing.
UNH improved to 6-1-1 overall and 4-1-1 in Hockey East, while Vermont dropped to 1-3-2, 1-3-2.
Downing capitalized on a breakaway just 5:27 into the game, sending a shot high blocker side past Vermont goalie Brody Hoffman to give UNH a 1-0 lead.
Two minutes later, Eric Knodel scored on the power play off an assist from junior Eric Knodel and the Wildcats took a 2-0 lead into the first intermission.
Block knocked home a rebound early in the second period to extend the lead to 3-0. He added his seventh goal of the season in the third period with a shot from just inside the blue line to put the game out of reach.
Junior Kevin Goumas assisted on both Block goals and finished with three helpers. Sophomore Trevor van Riemsdyk chipped in with two assists.
UNH went 1-for-3 on the power play and outshot the Catamounts 29-27. Vermont was scoreless on its four power plays.
DeSmith also shut out Maine, 4-0, last Sunday. The Wildcats next play at 7 p.m. on Friday against host UMass-Lowell.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Londonderry's Aliza Simpson chooses UNH for basketball - 0
- H.S. Football: Knight leads South past North - 0
- H.S. Football: Trinity, with all the trimmings, runs past Central - 3
- Unchained following 34 years, Thursday's Turkey Bowl is Paul Boucher's last game - 1
- Roger Brown's First & 10: Motivation aplenty for Central and Trinity in Manchester's annual Turkey Bowl - 3
- Martinez, Rodriguez lift Salem past Lawrence - 0
- Roger Brown's First & 10: On any given Thursday - 0
- Roger Brown's First & 10: Crimson glide - 0
- Roger Brown's First & 10: This year, No. 1 is a no-doubter - 1
READER COMMENTS: 1
- UNH unveils new 'shield' logo - 23
- Winter storm pushes up East Coast after weekend blast - 0
- Police looking for information about blood on Pelham road - 0
- UNH drops Saturday night game to BC, 2-1 - 0
- Patriots stun Cleveland in another wild comeback - 1
- Mass. man says he may have seen missing Conway girl on video - 4
- 'Unprepared' Canadian hikers rescued from Mt. Washington - 2
- Vemont pair killed, Sunapee man hurt in crash on I-89 in Lebanon - 0
- Napoli returns to Boston with two-year deal - 0
UNH unveils new 'shield' logo
Word of Abby's letter spurs tips of no use
UPDATE: 2 dead in I-89 crash in Lebanon, highway northbound restricted to one lane as of 8:20 p.m.
UNH unveils new 'shield' logo
Reams threatens to sue county commissioners
Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges
UNH lecturers seek to unionize