Home » Sports » College Sports
College Hockey: DeSmith, UNH ice Vermont
Sophomore goalie Casey DeSmith posted his second-straight shutout and first career point and senior Austin Block had two goals as the ninth-ranked University of New Hampshire men's hockey team topped Vermont, 4-0, at the Whittemore Center in Durham on Saturday.
DeSmith had 27 saves to become the first Wildcat since Kevin Regan in 2007 to record consecutive shutouts. DeSmith also assisted on a short-handed goal by sophomore Grayson Downing.
UNH improved to 6-1-1 overall and 4-1-1 in Hockey East, while Vermont dropped to 1-3-2, 1-3-2.
Downing capitalized on a breakaway just 5:27 into the game, sending a shot high blocker side past Vermont goalie Brody Hoffman to give UNH a 1-0 lead.
Two minutes later, Eric Knodel scored on the power play off an assist from junior Eric Knodel and the Wildcats took a 2-0 lead into the first intermission.
Block knocked home a rebound early in the second period to extend the lead to 3-0. He added his seventh goal of the season in the third period with a shot from just inside the blue line to put the game out of reach.
Junior Kevin Goumas assisted on both Block goals and finished with three helpers. Sophomore Trevor van Riemsdyk chipped in with two assists.
UNH went 1-for-3 on the power play and outshot the Catamounts 29-27. Vermont was scoreless on its four power plays.
DeSmith also shut out Maine, 4-0, last Sunday. The Wildcats next play at 7 p.m. on Friday against host UMass-Lowell.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Incredible win tempered by loss of Gronkowski - 2
- Patriots stun Cleveland in another wild comeback - 1
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Pats need to avoid the drama - 0
- Brady to suspicious Texan: Pats 'just played better' - 1
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Not half bad - 0
- Eagles’ Kelly amps up support for Foles - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Finding a way (again) - 0
- For Patriots, an imperfect victory over Houston - 0
- NH's Griffin settling into NFL with Texans - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dartmouth skaters dealt another close loss - 0
- Gaming authority offers regulatory structure - 0
- Portsmouth man gets prison for sex assault of disabled woman - 0
- Wolfeboro nursing home evacuated after minor chemical spill - 0
- Dover woman admits to bank robberies in two states - 0
- Motorists injured in two car collision on Route 9, Spofford - 0
- Arrest made in attempted robbery of Littleton gas station - 0
- Ex-Littleton man sentenced to prison for DWI crash - 0
- Greenfield planners seek input on Heritage District plan proposal - 0
Symphony NH plans pair of holiday events
Hooksett man arrested on assault charges
Driver was trying to kill himself
NH reps eyeing budget deal
Decision to tap F&G habitat fund explained
Big tipper stops for lunch
Keene to appeal Robin Hood rulings