Home » Opinion » Editorials
Against the odds: NH should reject casinos
We disagreed with both victor Maggie Hassan and vanquished foe Ovide Lamontagne on one important issue: casino gambling. They are for it. We are agin' it.
We aren't as concerned with the usual bugaboos thrown up by gambling opponents. The prostitution, petty crime and drug dependencies are real, but somewhat overblown.
What bothers us is that Big Gambling brings with it Big Money that can be used to make public officials dance to its tune, rather than to the electorate's wishes. New Hampshire was once beholden to the big money of the big Boston railroads. Later, it was to the big mill interests. A new, powerful interest could do the same.
Plus, simple math and marketing work in favor of New Hampshire taking the road not taken by, it seems, so many other states and regions.
Now more than ever, New Hampshire should market itself as the family-friendly destination spot where mom and pop can bring the grandparents and the kids to places with names like the Friendly Farm, Storyland and Wallis Sands rather than Foxwoods or the Golden Nugget.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Runners want to send message in 2014 Boston Marathon - 0
- Newbould, Varanka lead Granite Staters in Boston Marathon - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: NH's race within the race - 0
- Granite State pair back on track for Boston - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: Would an Easter or Christmas road race work in Granite State? - 0
- It's a family affair at Manchester road race - 0
- Shamrock Shuffle set for Sunday - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: Shamrock Shuffle runners ready to party - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: No way to win with a road race cancellation - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA boxscores, summaries for May 20, 2013 - 0
- Police say man held girlfriend in car, arrest him - 0
- Overtime puts stress on Nashua police budget - 0
- Manchester, church group seek accord on breakfast for homeless - 0
- Ky. Sen. Rand Paul to NH GOP: Let's look like America - 0
- Man gunned down on Manchester street was talented graffiti artist - 0
- Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs - 0
- Two had a NH history before brutal Bedford attack - 0
- Derry marks a soldier's death - 0
Memorial Day Observances 2013
Bedford's Shapiro hits lacrosse milestone
NHIAA boxscores, summaries for May 20, 2013
Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs
Texting + driving = deadly consequences
Goffstown holds off on school borrowing