Home » Opinion » Editorials
Against the odds: NH should reject casinos
We disagreed with both victor Maggie Hassan and vanquished foe Ovide Lamontagne on one important issue: casino gambling. They are for it. We are agin' it.
We aren't as concerned with the usual bugaboos thrown up by gambling opponents. The prostitution, petty crime and drug dependencies are real, but somewhat overblown.
What bothers us is that Big Gambling brings with it Big Money that can be used to make public officials dance to its tune, rather than to the electorate's wishes. New Hampshire was once beholden to the big money of the big Boston railroads. Later, it was to the big mill interests. A new, powerful interest could do the same.
Plus, simple math and marketing work in favor of New Hampshire taking the road not taken by, it seems, so many other states and regions.
Now more than ever, New Hampshire should market itself as the family-friendly destination spot where mom and pop can bring the grandparents and the kids to places with names like the Friendly Farm, Storyland and Wallis Sands rather than Foxwoods or the Golden Nugget.
READER COMMENTS: 8
- Bad Joe: Levasseur stalls again - 2
- Good Joe: Kenney for Executive Council - 1
- Insurance exchange: NH Dems, GOP switch sides - 2
- Bottle store blues: The useless grocery mandate - 2
- Finding city revenue: Seek more private partners - 0
- Putin's freedom: Obama's weakness - 42
- Safe seats, frequent flyers - 0
- Sports volunteers: Eric Mommsen embodies the spirit - 0
- Issa drops in: Doesn't match media slant - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball: Merrimack survives scare - 0
- NHIAA Tournament Roundup: Central breaks away from Exeter - 0
- College Hockey: Dartmouth drops tournament opener - 0
- FEMA OKs $8m for repairs in Lincoln, Lebanon - 0
- Official says Manchester lost out on $1.5m for cell tower court has now ordered built - 7
- John Habib's City Sports: Derryfield's 'Mouse' made his mark - 1
- Rondo leads Celtics past Nets - 0
- Hats off to O'Neill, Monarchs - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball: Maughn, Memorial top Londonderry - 0
Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief