Home » Opinion » Editorials
Against the odds: NH should reject casinos
We disagreed with both victor Maggie Hassan and vanquished foe Ovide Lamontagne on one important issue: casino gambling. They are for it. We are agin' it.
We aren't as concerned with the usual bugaboos thrown up by gambling opponents. The prostitution, petty crime and drug dependencies are real, but somewhat overblown.
What bothers us is that Big Gambling brings with it Big Money that can be used to make public officials dance to its tune, rather than to the electorate's wishes. New Hampshire was once beholden to the big money of the big Boston railroads. Later, it was to the big mill interests. A new, powerful interest could do the same.
Plus, simple math and marketing work in favor of New Hampshire taking the road not taken by, it seems, so many other states and regions.
Now more than ever, New Hampshire should market itself as the family-friendly destination spot where mom and pop can bring the grandparents and the kids to places with names like the Friendly Farm, Storyland and Wallis Sands rather than Foxwoods or the Golden Nugget.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Definitely broken: City's winter parking ban - 2
- What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out' - 24
- Closing classrooms: Relief for Webster, Beech Street schools in Manchester.? - 2
- Unwanted professors: How does one get fired at UNH? - 15
- Bumped for Benghazi: A reporter is held accountable - 2
- Dangerous Iran deal: Weakening sanctions is senseless - 2
- Freedom? Thanks for nothing, Obama - 82
- Christmas spirit: For whom do you shop? - 4
- American blessing: The Pilgrims and self-reliance - 20
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Task force arrests man in Nottingham for Candia burglary - 0
- Police: Salem man used car keys to stab officer in hand - 0
- Manchester muffler shop burglarized - 0
- Boy, 12, struck in Newton remains hospitalized - 0
- State revenue under projections for November - 0
- Armed man arrested after Manchester convenience store robbery - 0
- Store cashier in Littleton refuses to give up the cash to robber - 0
- UPDATE: Dover toll plaza appears undamaged after Tuesday crash - 2
- Police: Body found in Portsmouth creek not missing UNH student - 0
UPDATE: Could be 'months' before deciding on charges in crash involving Dover city councilor
What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out'
Boy wounded by bullet was to be released