Home » Opinion » Editorials
Against the odds: NH should reject casinos
We disagreed with both victor Maggie Hassan and vanquished foe Ovide Lamontagne on one important issue: casino gambling. They are for it. We are agin' it.
We aren't as concerned with the usual bugaboos thrown up by gambling opponents. The prostitution, petty crime and drug dependencies are real, but somewhat overblown.
What bothers us is that Big Gambling brings with it Big Money that can be used to make public officials dance to its tune, rather than to the electorate's wishes. New Hampshire was once beholden to the big money of the big Boston railroads. Later, it was to the big mill interests. A new, powerful interest could do the same.
Plus, simple math and marketing work in favor of New Hampshire taking the road not taken by, it seems, so many other states and regions.
Now more than ever, New Hampshire should market itself as the family-friendly destination spot where mom and pop can bring the grandparents and the kids to places with names like the Friendly Farm, Storyland and Wallis Sands rather than Foxwoods or the Golden Nugget.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- City budget talk: How about solutions instead? - 1
- Death & justice: Officer Briggs is not forgotten - 6
- Decency displayed: Havenstein's nice start - 7
- IT overload: Bureaucracy on bureaucracy - 1
- Taxes and spending: Washington vs. NH - 12
- Texting while stopped: Banning safe behavior - 5
- Lives not lost: As long as we remember - 0
- Slammed: A Seabrook officer indicted - 9
- Abuse in school: A city teacher and a late report - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: It's time to make legislative sausage - 0
- Memory of bombings remains vivid for those who were there - 0
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: No power play in aldermanic chambers, mayor in good spirits - 1
- On Baseball: Locke pitches game in minor league rehab - 0
- NH's top prospects happy to be part of Boston - 0
- Relative newcomers vie for Boston title - 0
- NH College Notebook: Franklin Pierce's King named to 18U coaching staff - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: New Hampshire makes a big deal about Boston Marathon - 0
- Another View - Ahad Fazelat: How Medicare reimbursement numbers are misleading - 0
Man electrocuted at Keene brush fire
A cellphone ban: Ignoring inconvenient data
Mike Cote's Business Editor's Notebook: Restaurant owner faces up to challenge of Obamacare