Home » Opinion » Editorials
Against the odds: NH should reject casinos
We disagreed with both victor Maggie Hassan and vanquished foe Ovide Lamontagne on one important issue: casino gambling. They are for it. We are agin' it.
We aren't as concerned with the usual bugaboos thrown up by gambling opponents. The prostitution, petty crime and drug dependencies are real, but somewhat overblown.
What bothers us is that Big Gambling brings with it Big Money that can be used to make public officials dance to its tune, rather than to the electorate's wishes. New Hampshire was once beholden to the big money of the big Boston railroads. Later, it was to the big mill interests. A new, powerful interest could do the same.
Plus, simple math and marketing work in favor of New Hampshire taking the road not taken by, it seems, so many other states and regions.
Now more than ever, New Hampshire should market itself as the family-friendly destination spot where mom and pop can bring the grandparents and the kids to places with names like the Friendly Farm, Storyland and Wallis Sands rather than Foxwoods or the Golden Nugget.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Runners want to send message in 2014 Boston Marathon - 0
- Newbould, Varanka lead Granite Staters in Boston Marathon - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: NH's race within the race - 0
- Granite State pair back on track for Boston - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: Would an Easter or Christmas road race work in Granite State? - 0
- It's a family affair at Manchester road race - 0
- Shamrock Shuffle set for Sunday - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: Shamrock Shuffle runners ready to party - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: No way to win with a road race cancellation - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Gambling bill scuttled, 'Now it is going to be really tough' for budget - 2
- NHIAA Roundup: BG girls’ tennis team sweeps Pinkerton - 0
- NHIAA box scores, summaries for May 22 - 0
- Officials say Goffstown High ‘safe’ after threat of violence - 0
- Manchester Community College graduates told ‘speak your minds’ - 0
- Portsmouth manhunt suspect turns himself in to police - 0
- Nurse said Exeter Hospital is making her a ‘scapegoat’ in hepatitis case - 0
- Derry council defends officials' purchases - 0
- Nashua librarian reports E-books flying off virtual shelves - 0
Buchholz moves to 7-0 as Red Sox post win
New Hampshire Club News
Derry council defends officials' purchases
Consider Nevada: Gambling always expands