Home » News » Public Safety
Veterans Day morning barn blaze at Londonderry Flea Market
LONDONDERRY - Local fire officials believe the blaze that burned an antique barn to the ground early Monday morning may have been sparked by a wood stove.
Shortly after 8 a.m., firefighters were called to the Londonderry Flea Market on Route 102, according to Fire Captain Fred Heinrich.
Crews arrived within four minutes, but were unable to save the fully engulfed barn.
“We saw heavy flames coming up through the roof,” Heinrich said. “Our nearest fire hydrant was over two miles away, so we immediately called in tanker trucks from other towns.”
Fire crews from Windham, Pelham, Litchfield and Auburn assisted onsite, with heavy clouds of black smoke visible for several miles down Route 102.
The tankers quickly ran out of water, forcing firefighters to rush to the nearest fire station, Londonderry South Fire Station, to refill their empty tanks.
Within 20 minutes, the barn’s roof had caved in, and PSNH crews were called to the scene to repair disconnected electric wires.
The flames were under control within an hour, Heinrich said, though crews remained on the scene until shortly before noon, using heavy equipment to access several remaining hot spots.
No one was injured in the incident. Crews from Manchester, Derry and Nashua provided station coverage.
Flea market owner Pete Sapatis said he was uncertain just how old the barn was, as it was there when he purchased the property some 40 years ago.
Sapatis said the two-story barn, which he rebuilt about 15 years ago and added a new roof to in 2009, was currently being used as a “personal garage” and for storage of various tools, lawnmowers, chainsaws and other equipment needed in the upkeep of the property grounds.
“As you can see, there’s nothing left now,” Sapatis said early Monday afternoon, motioning to the smoldering pile of concrete blocks, burned out engines and black ash.
Sapatis had reportedly been working inside the garage earlier Monday morning when he stepped away for a few moments, leaving the wood stove burning inside.
Local fire officials believe a hot pipe connected to the stove may have loosened and sparked the fire.
“When I discovered the fire, it must have been burning for about five minutes, “ Sapatis said.
Asked if he planned to rebuild, Sapatis didn’t mince words.
“No way,” he said. “It would be impossible.”
While insurance funds will hopefully allow him to replace his equipment, Sapatis said he’s concerned for the coming winter months, and the lack of a proper place to store such items.
“I’ll need a garage bad,” he said.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Dozens displaced by Manchester apartment building fire - 3
- Ossipee woman killed in late-night Moultonborough crash - 1
- Danville couple struggling to get back on feet after explosion - 2
- Farmington school evacuated for bomb threat; police say kids are safe - 0
- Claremont elementary school to get safer sidewalks - 0
- Fire leaves Derry family of four homeless - 0
- Homeless man rescues woman who jumped from Granite Street Bridge - 2
- Propane driver saved from waist-deep mud - 0
- Update: Men target practicing face felonies after report of shots fired in Hooksett - 5
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onfrio's Patriots Notebook: Finding a way to win - 0
- Sam Asano's Let's Invent: NoNose gets readers talking like nobody's business - 0
- Know the Law: Your trust can be named beneficiary of an IRA - 0
- Another View -- Bill O'Brien: Ask your state rep. to vote for transparency in the House - 1
- Old friends and a 'homeless angel' make for good stories anytime - 0
- Clooney gets it: Sony attack was not a 'crime' - 1
- New coats warm city kids, firefighters' hearts - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Martin, Pinkerton top Salem in tournament - 0
- Inmate reported missing from Concord transitional unit - 0
The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama
'Everybody was extremely fortunate'