May 24, 2013
May 15, 2013
May 8, 2013
May 1, 2013
Mass. man gets suspended sentence for crashing 'lemon' at Portsmouth dealership
BRENTWOOD - A Massachusetts man who crashed his "lemon" of a van to get back at a Portsmouth car dealership drew a suspended 1½- to 3-year prison sentence.
David Cross, 43, of Salisbury, Mass., pleaded guilty to a felony count of criminal mischief as part of a plea deal that allowed him to avoid state prison time so long as he remains on good behavior.
Had he been convicted at trial, Cross could have been sentenced up to 3½ to 7 years in state prison. Cross backed out of a plea deal earlier this year and indicated he wanted to go on trial on the single count of criminal mischief. But plea negotiations continued up until his trial date the week of Oct. 29, when he entered his guilty plea.
Cross was indicted by a Rockingham County grand jury in January.
His dispute with the Portsmouth Used Car Superstore began in July, 2011, after he and his wife had bought a van from the dealer and tried to return it because he said it was a clunker, police said. The business refused, prompting Cross to return to the dealership around midnight on July 19, 2011 and plow his so-called lemon into six cars, prosecutors said. The wreck caused roughly $20,000 in damages.
The cars struck were a Mercedes C300, an Infiniti G35X, a Ford Mustang, a Nissan Pathfinder, a Volkswagen Rabbit and a Pontiac Montana, according to court documents.
Cross later told police he took the vehicle he bought to his mechanic, who concluded the van should be returned to the dealer because it had a variety of problems. Once Cross struck the parked vehicles, he walked across the street to where a police cruiser was parked, telling an officer what he just did, according to police. He then led them back to the wrecked vehicles, police said.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Portsmouth drug raid nets four arrests for sale of heroin - 0
- Manchester Market clerk robbed by man armed with knife - 1
- Man who spent days under Salem woman's trailer recording sentenced to prison - 2
- Man sought for attempting to lure girl into white van near Nashua school - 0
- Lawyer who made porn videos of teenage daughter gets 40 years in jail - 34
- Trial delayed for Epping man charged with shooting romantic rival - 9
- Former editor indicted on child porn charges - 3
- Somersworth man indicted for Market Basket robbery in Epping - 1
- Former editor indicted on child porn charges - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Talk of UNH logo change brings out passions - 1
- John Habib's City Sports: Gosselin stepping down as city AD - 0
- Lackey sharp as Red Sox pound Cleveland, Masterson - 0
- Manchester Vet Center just 'a great place' - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Bedford netmen earn spot in state final - 0
- NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013 - 0
- NHIAA Div. I Track: Lynch, North boys prevail - 0
- Two found dead in Belmont; one man detained as part of investigation - 0
- Weather this weekend may be more like Veterans Day - 0
NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013
Memorial Day services, events around NH
Talk of UNH logo change brings out passions
Just say it: Our fight is with radical Islam
The casino vote: The House did its duty
- Should applicants for jobless benefits have to pass a drug test?
- Total Votes: 1424