Mar 12, 2014
Mar 5, 2014
Feb 26, 2014
Feb 19, 2014
Mass. man gets suspended sentence for crashing 'lemon' at Portsmouth dealership
BRENTWOOD - A Massachusetts man who crashed his "lemon" of a van to get back at a Portsmouth car dealership drew a suspended 1½- to 3-year prison sentence.
David Cross, 43, of Salisbury, Mass., pleaded guilty to a felony count of criminal mischief as part of a plea deal that allowed him to avoid state prison time so long as he remains on good behavior.
Had he been convicted at trial, Cross could have been sentenced up to 3½ to 7 years in state prison. Cross backed out of a plea deal earlier this year and indicated he wanted to go on trial on the single count of criminal mischief. But plea negotiations continued up until his trial date the week of Oct. 29, when he entered his guilty plea.
Cross was indicted by a Rockingham County grand jury in January.
His dispute with the Portsmouth Used Car Superstore began in July, 2011, after he and his wife had bought a van from the dealer and tried to return it because he said it was a clunker, police said. The business refused, prompting Cross to return to the dealership around midnight on July 19, 2011 and plow his so-called lemon into six cars, prosecutors said. The wreck caused roughly $20,000 in damages.
The cars struck were a Mercedes C300, an Infiniti G35X, a Ford Mustang, a Nissan Pathfinder, a Volkswagen Rabbit and a Pontiac Montana, according to court documents.
Cross later told police he took the vehicle he bought to his mechanic, who concluded the van should be returned to the dealer because it had a variety of problems. Once Cross struck the parked vehicles, he walked across the street to where a police cruiser was parked, telling an officer what he just did, according to police. He then led them back to the wrecked vehicles, police said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Was a crime committed? Nashua police are not certain - 0
- Man arrested in Nashua market robbery - 0
- Fugitive of the week arrested in Maine - 0
- Manchester CrimeWatch: City woman connected to fatal crash in court again - 0
- UPDATED: Rochester man shot multiple times as police attempted arrest - 0
- Bedford man sentenced for lobster trap thefts - 0
- Manchester police recover $2,000 worth of painkillers in drug arrest - 2
- UPDATE: Hudson police standoff ends; person in custody - 0
- Manchester man who defrauded banks in mortgage foreclosure scheme gets 6 years - 2
READER COMMENTS: 12
- Manchester woman wakes to find burglar in home - 0
- No dice: House kills casino gambling bill - 3
- Poetry Out Loud championship rescheduled due to storm - 0
- Portsmouth buildings evacuated for reported gas leak - 0
- Mass. man dies in Chesterfield crash - 0
- Manchester collision results in pedestrian's death - 1
- SCORE workshop offers social media tips - 0
- Sens. Shaheen, Ayotte slam latest push for online sales tax - 5
- Bedford girls basketball team spreads the scoring wealth - 0
SCORE workshop offers social media tips
Minimum wages: Maximum spin
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown doles out $29k to NHGOP committees from his PAC
Hooksett votes down Pinkerton schools deal