Home » News » Public Safety
Winter on-street parking rules go into effect Dec. 1
MANCHESTER - Rules for overnight winter on-street parking go into effect at 1 a.m. on Dec. 1 and will be in effect until April 15, 2013.
Where parking is normally allowed on a street, the ordinance permits vehicles to be parked on the odd-numbered side of a street only on odd-numbered calendar days, and on the even numbered side of a street only on even numbered calendar days beginning after 1 a.m. and lasting until 6 a.m.
So if you are parking in the evening of an odd numbered day, it should be parked on the even side of the street because it will be an even day as of 1 a.m.
If parking is presently allowed on only one side of the street during the day, then parking will be permitted on that side of the street every night.
Violators are subject to a $25 fine.
The exception is a pilot program area bounded by Canal Street on the west, Elm Street on the east, Pleasant Street on the south and Mechanic Street on the north.
Upon declaration of a snow emergency, any vehicle parked on the streets will be towed and impounded. Look for the blinking strobe lights placed at various intersections throughout the city, listen to local radio or TV stations, or call the Highway Department at 624-6444 with any questions.
Impounded vehicles will be stored at the city's vehicle impoundment area, located in Derryfield Park off of Bridge Street. In order to recover an impounded vehicle, the owner will be required to present proof of ownership and make a payment of $110 in cash. This must be done within 24 hours of the time when the vehicle was towed. Vehicles not recovered within 24 hours will be subject to additional towing and storage charges.
Snow emergency parking is available at the Victory Parking Garage at 25 Vine Street between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. Vehicles entering before 10 p.m. or leaving after 6 a.m. will be subject to parking fees of 75 cents per hour. The Pearl Street parking lot on Orange Street between Pearl and Chestnut is also available between 6 p.m. and 7 a.m. Unauthorized vehicles in the lot outside of these times will be subject to parking tickets.
Go to www.manchesternh.gov/snow to sign up for automatic e-mail or text notifications of snow emergencies.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Keene man killed in work accident in Troy Monday - 0
- Teen driver dies after being pulled from icy waters in Londonderry - 8
- Trio escapes Claremont fire after smoke wakes resident - 0
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries in Little Cohas Brook crash - 0
- Tractor-trailer pulls down poles, wires, closing part of Route 28 in Epsom - 0
- Commission honors seven for contributions to state firefighter training - 0
- Lost hikers found safe in Gilsum - 1
- Woman thrown from horse, injured - 0
- Stove ash blamed for Manchester garage fire - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester police investigating after man stabbed in neck - 0
- Abuse history at Nashua address where 3-year-old died - 0
- Franklin robbery suspect sought, considered armed and dangerous - 0
- Franklin man and woman arraigned for attempted prostitution of minor - 0
- Rymes is ready to roll following Fred Fuller purchase - 0
- Police investigating death of 3-year-old girl in Nashua - 7
- Police say hit-and-run driver was observed tossing beer cans from car - 1
- City championship on the line Thanksgiving Day - 1
- Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket - 7
Manchester school exec contract squeaks by
Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass.
Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket
On being American: A point for reflection